Asymptotics of regressions with stationary and nonstationary residuals
AbstractA comprehensive description is given of the limiting behaviour of normalised pseudo-MLEs of the coefficients in a discrete-time autoregressive process, with nonstochastic regressors, for all cases: stationary, unit root and explosive situations. The residuals are assumed to be independent and identically distributed, with finite variance, and we allow a wide class of regressors: they need only be uniformly asymptotically negligible and not too regular, in a certain sense. Under these assumptions, the normalised estimator of the regression coefficient is shown to be asymptotically normal, regardless of the value of the autocorrelation coefficient, and asymptotically independent of the normalised estimator of the autocorrelation coefficient, which also has a proper, nondegenerate limiting distribution. The normalisation for the estimators can be based on the sample information matrix. Limiting distributions for likelihood ratio test statistics of hypotheses of interest are also given under the same assumptions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 105 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Monsour, Michael J. & Mikulski, Piotr W., 1998. "On limiting distributions in explosive autoregressive processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 141-147, February.
- Datta, Somnath, 1995. "Limit theory and bootstrap for explosive and partially explosive autoregression," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 285-304, June.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Davis, Richard A. & Mikosch, Thomas, 1998. "Gaussian likelihood-based inference for non-invertible MA(1) processes with SS noise," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 99-122, September.
- Maller, R. A., 1993. "Quadratic Negligibility and the Asymptotic Normality of Operator Normed Sums," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 191-219, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.