What is participatory research?
AbstractResearch strategies which emphasize participation are increasingly used in health research. Breaking the linear mould of conventional research, participatory research focuses on a process of sequential reflection and action, carried out with and by local people rather than on them. Local knowledge and perspectives are not only acknowledged but form the basis for research and planning. Many of the methods used in participatory research are drawn from mainstream disciplines and conventional research itself involves varying degrees of participation. The key difference between participatory and conventional methodologies lies in the location of power in the research process. We review some of the participatory methodologies which are currently being popularized in health research, focusing on the issue of control over the research process. Participatory research raises personal, professional and political challenges which go beyond the bounds of the production of information. Problematizing 'participation', we explore the challenges and dilemmas of participatory practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Social Science & Medicine.
Volume (Year): 41 (1995)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mertens, Frédéric & Saint-Charles, Johanne & Mergler, Donna, 2012. "Social communication network analysis of the role of participatory research in the adoption of new fish consumption behaviors," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(4), pages 643-650.
- McKinley, Duncan C. & Briggs, Russell D. & Bartuska, Ann M., 2013. "Reprint of: When peer-reviewed publications are not enough! Delivering science for natural resource management," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 9-19.
- Moser, Caroline O.N. & McIlwaine, Cathy, 2006. "Latin American Urban Violence as a Development Concern: Towards a Framework for Violence Reduction," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 89-112, January.
- Jashim Uddin Ahmed, 2009. "Action Research: A New Look," KASBIT Journal of Management & Social Science, Khadim Ali Shah Bukhari Institute of Technology (KASBIT), vol. 2, pages 19-33, December.
- Sam Hickey, 2002. "Transnational NGDOS and participatory forms of rights-based development: converging with the local politics of citizenship in Cameroon," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(6), pages 841-857.
- Yadoo, Annabel & Gormally, Alexandra & Cruickshank, Heather, 2011. "Low-carbon off-grid electrification for rural areas in the United Kingdom: Lessons from the developing world," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6400-6407, October.
- Emma Jakku & Peter Thorburn, 2009. "A Conceptual Framework for Guiding the Participatory Development of Agricultural Decision Support Systems," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series 2009-12, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
- Yadoo, Annabel & Cruickshank, Heather, 2010. "The value of cooperatives in rural electrification," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2941-2947, June.
- Holte-McKenzie, Merydth & Forde, Sarah & Theobald, Sally, 2006. "Development of a participatory monitoring and evaluation strategy," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 365-376, November.
- Peacock, Stuart & Mitton, Craig & Bate, Angela & McCoy, Bonnie & Donaldson, Cam, 2009. "Overcoming barriers to priority setting using interdisciplinary methods," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 92(2-3), pages 124-132, October.
- repec:ksb:journl:v:2:y:2009:i:1:p:19-33 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andreas Neef & Dieter Neubert, 2011. "Stakeholder participation in agricultural research projects: a conceptual framework for reflection and decision-making," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 179-194, June.
- Heikkurinen, Pasi & Jalkanen, Lotta & Jarvela, Katja & Jarvinen, Maija & Katajajuuri, Juha-Matti & Koistinen, Laura & Kotro, Jaana & Makela, Johanna & Pesonen, Hanna-Leena & Riipi, Inkeri & Ulvila, Ku, 2012. "Corporate Responsibility in the Food Chain: The Criteria and Indicators," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144988, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.