Marital status and health among the elderly
AbstractMany studies have documented a longevity advantage for married persons relative to their unmarried counterparts in all age groups. However, these studies have failed to determine whether the advantage experienced by married elderly persons arises mostly from selection and causal processes which operated at younger ages. This paper employs data from the Longitudinal Study of Aging (1984-1990) to explore whether marital status continues to exert any influence on health and mortality at the older ages. In the presence of an extensive set of controls for health status at the baseline survey, a series of logistic models are used to determine: (1) the magnitude of marital status effects on disability and on mortality, among older males and older females; and (2) the extent to which the social environment and economic status of the elderly can account for the existing disability and mortality differences by marital status.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Social Science & Medicine.
Volume (Year): 40 (1995)
Issue (Month): 12 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manoj K Pandey, 2009. "Labor Force Participation among Indian Elderly: Does Health Matter?," Working Papers id:1987, eSocialSciences.
- Manoj K. Pandey, 2009. "Poverty and Disability among Indian Elderly: Evidence from Household Survey," ASARC Working Papers 2009-10, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Bipalab Dhak & Mutharayappa R, 2009. "Gender Differential in Disease Burden:Its Role to Explain Gender Differential in Mortality," Working Papers 221, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Megan Beckett & Marc N. Elliott, 2002. "Does the Association Between Marital Status and Health Vary by Sex, Race, and Ethnicity?," Working Papers 02-08, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Shor, Eran & Roelfs, David J. & Bugyi, Paul & Schwartz, Joseph E., 2012. "Meta-analysis of marital dissolution and mortality: Reevaluating the intersection of gender and age," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 46-59.
- Pandey, Manoj K., 2008. "Association between marital status and health: examining the role of age and gender," MPRA Paper 15923, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lindström, Martin, 2009. "Marital status, social capital, material conditions and self-rated health: A population-based study," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 93(2-3), pages 172-179, December.
- Wilson, Sven E., 2012. "Marriage, gender and obesity in later life," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 431-453.
- Pandey, Manoj K., 2008. "Ageing, marital status and its health implications: evidences from India," MPRA Paper 15370, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elisabetta Santarelli & Anna De Pascale, . "Economic, housing conditions and health of old people in Italy: evidence from EU-SILC," Working Papers 99/12, Sapienza University of Rome, Metodi e modelli per l'economia, il territorio e la finanza MEMOTEF.
- Rasmus Hoffmann, 2005. "Does the socioeconomic mortality gradient interact with age? Evidence from US survey data and Danish register data," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2005-020, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Pandey, Manoj K., 2009. "Labor force participation among Indian elderly: does health matter?," MPRA Paper 15394, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.