Facility location under demand uncertainty: Response to a large-scale bio-terror attack
AbstractIn the event of a catastrophic bio-terror attack, major urban centers need to efficiently distribute large amounts of medicine to the population. In this paper, we consider a facility location problem to determine the points in a large city where medicine should be handed out to the population. We consider locating capacitated facilities in order to maximize coverage, taking into account a distance-dependent coverage function and demand uncertainty. We formulate a special case of the maximal covering location problem (MCLP) with a loss function, to account for the distance-sensitive demand, and chance-constraints to address the demand uncertainty. This model decides the locations to open, and the supplies and demand assigned to each location. We solve this problem with a locate-allocate heuristic. We illustrate the use of the model by solving a case study of locating facilities to address a large-scale emergency of a hypothetical anthrax attack in Los Angeles County.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Socio-Economic Planning Sciences.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/seps
Capacitated facility location; Distance-dependent coverage; Demand uncertainty; Emergency response; Locate-allocate heuristic;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang, Mei-Shiang & Tseng, Ya-Ling & Chen, Jing-Wen, 2007. "A scenario planning approach for the flood emergency logistics preparation problem under uncertainty," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 737-754, November.
- Berman, Oded & Krass, Dmitry & Drezner, Zvi, 2003. "The gradual covering decay location problem on a network," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 474-480, December.
- Mirchandani, Pitu B. & Oudjit, Aissa & Wong, Richard T., 1985. "`Multidimensional' extensions and a nested dual approach for the m-median problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 121-137, July.
- Berman, Oded & Drezner, Zvi & Krass, Dmitry & Wesolowsky, George O., 2009. "The variable radius covering problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 516-525, July.
- Aboolian, Robert & Berman, Oded & Krass, Dmitry, 2007. "Competitive facility location and design problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 40-62, October.
- Rawls, Carmen G. & Turnquist, Mark A., 2010. "Pre-positioning of emergency supplies for disaster response," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 521-534, May.
- E S Sheppard, 1974. "A conceptual framework for dynamic location - allocation analysis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 6(5), pages 547-564, May.
- Sherali, Hanif D. & Carter, Todd B. & Hobeika, Antoine G., 1991. "A location-allocation model and algorithm for evacuation planning under hurricane/flood conditions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 439-452, December.
- Berman, Oded & Drezner, Zvi, 2008. "The p-median problem under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(1), pages 19-30, August.
- Yi, Wei & Ozdamar, Linet, 2007. "A dynamic logistics coordination model for evacuation and support in disaster response activities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 1177-1193, June.
- Zeinal Hamadani, Ali & Abouei Ardakan, Mostafa & Rezvan, Taghi & Honarmandian, Mohammad Mehran, 2013. "Location-allocation problem for intra-transportation system in a big company by using meta-heuristic algorithm," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 309-317.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.