Studying the association between air pollution and lung cancer incidence in a large metropolitan area using a kernel density function
AbstractIn the absence of patient-specific data, composite level data are often used in epidemiological studies. However, since individual exposure levels cannot accurately be inferred from aggregate data, such an approach may lead to erroneous estimates of health effects of potential environmental risk factors. In the present study, we attempt to address this information-loss problem by using the "kernel density function", which estimates the intensity of events across a surface, by calculating the overall number of cases situated within a given search radius from a target point. The present paper illustrates the use of this analytical technique for a study of association between the geographical distributions of lung cancer cases and SO2 air pollution estimates in the Greater Haifa Metropolitan Area (GHMA). In the analysis, the results obtained by kernel smoothing are contrasted with those obtained by areal aggregation techniques more commonly used in empirical studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Socio-Economic Planning Sciences.
Volume (Year): 43 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/seps
Kernel density Air pollution Cancer;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- שולי בר ורבקה פריאור, 2005. "מקבלי דמי פגיעה בשנת 2004," Working Papers 429, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- רמסיס גרא & ברנדה מורגנשיין ומרים שמלצר, 2001. "הכנסות הקשישים בישראל," Working Papers 272, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- דר אברהם כרמלי & רנה פוזנר & סיגל רוביצק ושרה בלומנפלד, 2001. "אמהות למען אמהות," Working Papers 143, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- מירי מונק, 2005. "העצמת נשים בדואיות בנגב," Working Papers 97, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Sabel, Clive E. & Gatrell, Anthony C. & Löytönen, Markku & Maasilta, Paula & Jokelainen, Matti, 2000. "Modelling exposure opportunities: estimating relative risk for motor neurone disease in Finland," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 50(7-8), pages 1121-1137, April.
- אסתר טולידנו, 2005. "מקבלי דמי אבטלה בשנת 2004," Working Papers 536, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- דליה גורדון, 2005. "שוברים לרכישת שירותי שיקום," Working Papers 334, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- אסתר טולידנו, 2003. "מקבלי דמי אבטלה בשנת 2002," Working Papers 463, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.