Correlation dynamics in equity markets: evidence from India
AbstractThis study is aimed at understanding the correlation dynamics of the equity markets from a developing country perspective using daily data from July 1997 to August 2006. A simple unconditional correlation estimate and dynamic time varying correlation estimate from a DCC-MVGARCH of Engle and Sheppard (2001) are derived for S&P CNX Nifty and other 10 world indices that includes four developed and six Asian country indices. The results show low correlation across S&P CNX Nifty with both Asian and developed nations. In addition a Logistic Smooth Transition Regression (LSTR) model is implemented and finds that the S&P CNX Nifty index is moving towards a better integration with other world markets but not at a very noteworthy phase. The low correlation provides space for the global funds to diversify risk in Indian markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in International Business and Finance.
Volume (Year): 25 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf
Correlation dynamics Multivariate GARCH Logistic trend function;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kearney, Colm & Lucey, Brian M., 2004. "International equity market integration: Theory, evidence and implications," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 571-583.
- Roger Ignatius, 1992. "The Bombay Stock Exchange: Seasonalities and Investment Opportunities," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 223-227, July.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1995. "Asymmetric volatility transmission in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 747-762, December.
- Chelley-Steeley, Patricia L., 2005. "Modeling equity market integration using smooth transition analysis: A study of Eastern European stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 818-831, September.
- William N. Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1997.
NBER Working Papers
5906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1998. "Re-emerging Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm50, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2000.
- Philippe Jorion & William N. Goetzmann, 1998. "Re-Emerging Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm111, Yale School of Management.
- Kearney, Colm & Poti, Valerio, 2006.
"Correlation dynamics in European equity markets,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 305-321, September.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Aman Agarwal & Jun Du, 2005. "Financial Integration for India Stock Market, a Fractional Cointegration Approach," Departmental Working Papers wp0501, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 2000.
"Capital Flows and the Behavior of Emerging Market Equity Returns,"
in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 159-194
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1998. "Capital Flows and the Behavior of Emerging Market Equity Returns," NBER Working Papers 6669, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ripley, Duncan M, 1973. "Systematic Elements in the Linkage of National Stock Market Indices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(3), pages 356-61, August.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
NBER Working Papers
8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Chelley-Steeley, Patricia, 2004. "Equity market integration in the Asia-Pacific region: A smooth transition analysis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 621-632.
- Panton, Don B. & Lessig, V. Parker & Joy, O. Maurice, 1976. "Comovement of International Equity Markets: A Taxonomic Approach," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 415-432, September.
- Lessard, Donald R, 1974. "World, National, and Industry Factors in Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 379-91, May.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Baumohl, Eduard & Lyocsa, Stefan, 2013. "Volatility and dynamic conditional correlations of European emerging stock markets," MPRA Paper 49898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baumöhl, Eduard, 2013. "Stock market integration between the CEE-4 and the G7 markets: Asymmetric DCC and smooth transition approach," MPRA Paper 43834, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonidas Sandoval Junior & Italo De Paula Franca, 2011. "Correlation of financial markets in times of crisis," Papers 1102.1339, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.