Russian transnationals and international investment paradigms
AbstractThis paper explores the main features of outward foreign direct investment by Russian transnational corporations - referred to as [`]eagle multinationals' in the literature - and some of the implications of their recent rise to global prominence (since the 1990s) for the paradigms of international investment. Surprisingly, lower middle-income Russia is already a net capital exporter, and some of its firms, to mention Gazprom, Lukoil, Mechel, Norilsk Nickel and Severstal, for example, have already leapfrogged to a global status. The paper aims also at identifying issues for further analysis, such as the growing role of the state in controlling natural resource-based firms and its implications for the future of the Russian transnationals. This paper suggests that different investment paradigms fare divergently in trying to explain outward FDI from the Russian Federation. For example, the eclectic paradigm could be applied to Russian transnationals with some extension on home-country factors. Other theories, however, would require more radical re-thinking in future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in International Business and Finance.
Volume (Year): 22 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kojima, Kiyoshi, 2000. "The "flying geese" model of Asian economic development: origin, theoretical extensions, and regional policy implications," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 375-401.
- Alexander Bulatov, 2001. "Russian Direct Investment Abroad: History, Motives, Finance, Control and Planning," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 179-194, October.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- Rudiger Ahrend, 2005. "Sustaining Growth in a Resource-Based Economy: The Main Issues and the Specific Case of Russia," ECE Discussion Papers Series 2005_3, UNECE.
- Krugman, Paul, 1983. "New Theories of Trade among Industrial Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 343-47, May.
- Bulatov, Alexander S, 2001. " Russian Direct Investment Abroad: History, Motives, Finance, Control and Planning," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 179-94.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766.
- Andreff, Wladimir, 2002. "The new multinational corporations from transition countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 371-379, December.
- Nathan Sheets, 1996. "Capital flight from the countries in transition: Some empirical evidence," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(3), pages 259-277.
- John Dunning, 1981. "Explaining the international direct investment position of countries: Towards a dynamic or developmental approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 117(1), pages 30-64, March.
- Igor Filatotchev & Natalya Dyomina & Mike Wright & Trevor Buck, 2001. "Effects of Post-Privatization Governance and Strategies on Export Intensity in the Former Soviet Union," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 853-871, December.
- Wright, Mike & Filatotchev, Igor & Buck, Trevor & Bishop, Kate, 2002. "Foreign partners in the Former Soviet Union," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 165-179, October.
- Buck, Trevor & Filatotchev, Igor & Nolan, Peter & Wright, Mike, 2000. "Different paths to economic reform in Russia and China: causes and consequences," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 379-400, January.
- Catherine Locatelli, 2006. "The russian oil industry between public and private governance : obstacles to international oil companies' investment strategies," Post-Print halshs-00002159, HAL.
- Geert Hofstede, 1983. "The Cultural Relativity of Organizational Practices and Theories," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 14(2), pages 75-89, June.
- Locatelli, Catherine, 2006. "The Russian oil industry between public and private governance: obstacles to international oil companies' investment strategies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1075-1085, June.
- Kojima, Kiyoshi, 1973. "A Macroeconomic Approach to Foreign Direct Investment," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 14(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred & Shekshnia, Stanislav & Korotov, Konstantin & Florent-Treacy, Elizabeth, 2004. "The New Global Russian Business Leaders:: Lessons from a Decade of Transition," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 637-648, December.
- Filippov, Sergey, 2008. "Russia's emerging multinationals: trends and issues," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 062, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Kalotay, Kalman & Sulstarova, Astrit, 2010. "Modelling Russian outward FDI," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 131-142, June.
- Filippov, Sergey, 2008. "Russia's emerging multinationals: trends and issues," MERIT Working Papers 062, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Francesca Spigarelli, 2011. "Outward Foreign Direct Investments of the Russian Federation," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 1, March.
- Codruța Dura & Imola Drigă, 2012. "Russian Multinationals in Romania and their Impact upon the Romanian Economy," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 12(1), pages 109-120.
- Kuznetsov, Alexey, 2010. "Urgent tasks for research on Russian TNCs," MPRA Paper 42702, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.