Electronic versus open outcry trading in agricultural commodities futures markets
AbstractThe Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT) introduced side by side trading of its agricultural futures commodities in August 2006. We analyze and compare market quality conditions in corn, soybeans, and wheat futures when these contracts trade simultaneously on open outcry and electronic trading venues. We find that volume migrates from floor trading to electronic trading and transaction costs are higher for floor than for screen-based trading. Nonetheless, we observe that both trading venues contribute significantly to price discovery. Given the recent surge in volatility in commodities futures markets, we also investigate activity variables such as volume that can help explain volatility in the two different trading platforms. We find that for agricultural commodities, variables that help describe volatility are not characteristic of the type of trading venue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Review of Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620170
Corn Commodity futures Market quality Soybeans Wheat;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Theissen, 2001.
"Price Discovery in Floor and Screen Trading Systems,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse35_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Theissen, Erik, 2002. "Price discovery in floor and screen trading systems," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 455-474, November.
- Madhavan, Ananth, 2000. "Market microstructure: A survey," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-258, August.
- Glosten, Lawrence R, 1994. " Is the Electronic Open Limit Order Book Inevitable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1127-61, September.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Geoffrey Booth, G. & Tse, Yiuman & Zabotina, Tatyana, 2002. "Price discovery and common factor models," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-321, July.
- Pagano, Marco & Roell, Ailsa, 1996. " Transparency and Liquidity: A Comparison of Auction and Dealer Markets with Informed Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 579-611, June.
- Terrence Hendershott & Charles M. Jones, 2005. "Island Goes Dark: Transparency, Fragmentation, and Regulation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(3), pages 743-793.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Granger, Clive W J, 1995.
"Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Gonzalo, J. & Granger, C., 1992. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Papers 4, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Gonzalo and Granger JBES 1995 paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00074, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pankaj K. Jain, 2005. "Financial Market Design and the Equity Premium: Electronic versus Floor Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(6), pages 2955-2985, December.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1988. "Variable Trends in Economic Time Series," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 147-74, Summer.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Seguin, Paul J., 1993. "Price Volatility, Trading Volume, and Market Depth: Evidence from Futures Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 21-39, March.
- Blennerhassett, Michael & Bowman, Robert G., 1998. "A change in market microstructure: the switch to electronic screen trading on the New Zealand stock exchange," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 261-276, December.
- Michael J. Fleming & Eli M. Remolona, 1999. "Price Formation and Liquidity in the U.S. Treasury Market: The Response to Public Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1901-1915, October.
- Bloomfield, Robert & O'Hara, Maureen, 1999. "Market Transparency: Who Wins and Who Loses?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(1), pages 5-35.
- Michael J. Fleming, 1997. "The round-the-clock market for U.S. Treasury securities," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 9-32.
- Frank, Julieta & Garcia, Philip, 2008. "Market Depth in Lean Hog and Live Cattle Futures Markets," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37613, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Janzen, Joseph P. & Smith, Aaron D. & Carter, Colin A., 2012.
"The Quality of Price Discovery and the Transition to Electronic Trade: The Case of Cotton Futures,"
2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington
125024, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Janzen, Joseph P. & Carter, Colin A. & Smith, Aaron D., 2012. "The Quality of Price Discovery and the Transition to Electronic Trade: The Case of Cotton Futures," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124994, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.