Confucius institute effects on China's trade and FDI: Isn't it delightful when folks afar study Hanyu?
AbstractThis paper employs gravity models to analyze the influence of Confucius Institutes (CI) on outward trade and FDI flows from China. We find significant increases in both Chinese exports and outward FDI flows to developing countries through establishment and operation of CIs, but little impact on the same flows to developed countries. In addition, CIs command stronger impacts on FDI than on outward trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 21 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165
Confucius Institute; Trade; Foreign Direct Investment; China; Soft power;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F59 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lien, Donald & Co, Catherine Yap, 2013. "The effect of Confucius Institutes on US Exports to China: A state level analysis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 566-571.
- B. Michael Gilroy & Elmar Lukas & Christian Heimann, 2013. "Technologiestandort Deutschland und internationale Wissensspillover, Welchen Einfluss nehmen auslaendische MNU auf deutsche Exporte?," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(5-6), pages 575-599, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.