A welfare analysis of tariffs and equivalent quotas under demand uncertainty: Implications for tariffication
AbstractUnder market demand uncertainty, we show that quotas can result in a welfare advantage over tariffs for an importing country despite that its government does not capture any quota rents. Specifically, the conditions under which an equivalent quota yields higher expected welfare than a tariff are shown to depend on a set of economic variables. These variables include the initial tariff rate, the relative efficiency in production between home and foreign firms, the probability distribution of random demand shocks that make the quota binding or non-binding under uncertainty, as well as the variance of the stochastic market demand. The analysis of this paper has welfare implications for tariffication.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165
Tariffs Equivalent quotas Market demand uncertainty Welfare ranking;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985.
"Export subsidies and international market share rivalry,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984. "Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry," NBER Working Papers 1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaempfer, William H & Marks, Stephen V, 1994. "The Possibility of Inefficient Liberalization through Tariffication," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 123-30, June.
- Gail L. Cramer & James M. Hansen & Eric J. Wailes, 1999. "Impact of Rice Tariffication on Japan and the World Rice Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1149-1156.
- Itoh, Motoshige & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1984. "Tariffs vs. quotas under duopoly of heterogeneous goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 359-373, November.
- Fishelson, Gideon & Flatters, Frank, 1975. "The (non)equivalence of optimal tariffs and quotas under uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 385-393, November.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1973.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
106, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kala Krishna, 1989.
"Trade Restrictions as Facilitating Practices,"
NBER Working Papers
1546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hwang, Hae-Shin & Schulman, Craig T., 1993. "Strategic non-intervention and the choice of trade policy for international oligopoly," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 73-93, February.
- Hwang, Hong & Mai, Chao-cheng, 1988. "On the equivalence of tariffs and quotas under duopoly : A conjectural variation approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 373-380, May.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Tariffs vs . Quotas as Revenue Raising Devices under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 975-81, December.
- Hideki Konishi, 1999. "Tariffs versus Quotas with Strategic Investment," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 71-91, February.
- Hung-Yi Chen & Hong Hwang, 2006. "Tariffs versus Quotas under Market Price Uncertainty," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 181-194, April.
- Krishna, Kala, 1987. "Tariffs versus quotas with endogenous quality," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 97-112, August.
- Parai, Amar K., 1999. "Profit tax and tariff under international oligopoly," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 317-326, September.
- Jan JÃ¸rgensen & Philipp SchrÃ¶der, 2007. "Effects of Tariffication: Tariffs and Quotas under Monopolistic Competition," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 479-498, September.
- Matschke, Xenia, 2003. "Tariff and quota equivalence in the presence of asymmetric information," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 209-223, October.
- Fung, K C, 1989. "Tariffs, Quotas, and International Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(4), pages 749-57, October.
- Beard, T. Randolph & Thompson, Henry, 2003. "Duopoly quotas and relative import quality," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 275-281.
- Shivakumar, Ram, 1993. "Strategic trade policy : Choosing between export subsidies and export quotas under uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1-2), pages 169-183, August.
- Kaempfer, William H & Ross, Martin T & Rutherford, Thomas F, 1997. "Tariffication of a Distorted Economy: A CGE Analysis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 207-18, June.
- Young, Lealie, 1980. "Tariffs vs . Quotas under Uncertainty: An Extension," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 522-27, June.
- James Lake & Maia Linask, 2013. "On the near-equivalence of tariffs and quotas with cooperative rent-Seeking," Departmental Working Papers 1305, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.