Determinants of futures contract success: Empirical examinations for the Asian futures markets
AbstractThis study examines key factors that influence the success of exchange-traded futures contracts of Asian futures markets. The results show that successful futures contracts benefit from a large and volatile spot market. In addition, a smaller contract size has a positive effect on the futures trading volume, which in turn contributes to the success of the futures contract. For specific institutional factors, the choice of the trading platform and the relative size of exchanges are both important to the success of futures contracts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165
Futures contract Successful factor Trading volume;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lien, Donald & Shrestha, Keshab, 2008. "Hedging effectiveness comparisons: A note," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 391-396.
- Jo Corkish & Allison Holland & Anne Fremault Vila, 1997. "The Determinants of Successful Financial Innovation: an Empirical Analysis of Futures Innovation on LIFFE," Bank of England working papers 70, Bank of England.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1989. " Institutional Markets, Financial Marketing, and Financial Innovation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 541-56, July.
- Telser, Lester G & Higinbotham, Harlow N, 1977. "Organized Futures Markets: Costs and Benefits," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 969-1000, October.
- Pennings, Joost M. E., 1998. "The Information Dissemination Process of Futures Exchange Innovations: A Note," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 141-145, November.
- Sandor, Richard L, 1973. "Innovation by an Exchange: A Case Study of the Development of the Plywood Futures Contract," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 119-36, April.
- Cuny, Charles J, 1993. "The Role of Liquidity in Futures Market Innovations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 57-78.
- Glosten, Lawrence R, 1994. " Is the Electronic Open Limit Order Book Inevitable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1127-61, September.
- Tashjian, Elizabeth, 1995. "Optimal futures contract design," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 153-162.
- Fung, Joseph K.W. & Lien, Donald & Tse, Yiuman & Tse, Yiu Kuen, 2005. "Effects of electronic trading on the Hang Seng Index futures market," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 415-425.
- Johnston, Elizabeth Tashjian & McConnell, John J, 1989. "Requiem for a Market: An Analysis of the Rise and Fall of a Financial Futures Contract," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(1), pages 1-23.
- Chiou, Wan-Jiun Paul & Lee, Alice C. & Lee, Cheng-Few, 2010. "Stock return, risk, and legal environment around the world," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 95-105, January.
- Lien, Donald & Tse, Yiu Kuen, 2006. "A survey on physical delivery versus cash settlement in futures contracts," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 15-29.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Fofana, N'Zue F., 2001. "Success And Failure Of Agricultural Futures Contracts," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 19(2).
- Chan, Leo & Lien, Donald, 2002. "Measuring the impacts of cash settlement: A stochastic volatility approach," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 251-263.
- Quintino, Derick David & David, Sergio Adriani, 2013. "Quantitative analysis of feasibility of hydrous ethanol futures contracts in Brazil," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 927-935.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.