Market efficiency and international diversification: Evidence from India
AbstractThis study evaluates one of the most important emerging markets, India (Bombay Stock Exchange and Indian National Exchange), for its efficiency and for its potential to offer diversification benefits to international investors. Market-wide tests include; 1) contemporaneous relationship, 2) Granger type causality and 3) day-of-the-week effect. Tests on individual Indian stocks include: 1) panel estimation of Granger causality, 2) stock-by-stock estimation of Granger causality and 3) runs test. In sum, Indian markets are well integrated with the international equity markets, a characteristic that lowers the international diversification benefits. While day-of-the-week effect is an international spillover, it may be possible to predict individual Indian stocks' returns through causality with international equity markets and through momentum trading techniques.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165
Day-of-the-week effect Market efficiency Bombay Stock Exchange Indian National Exchange India;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eleswarapu, Venkat R, 1997. " Cost of Transacting and Expected Returns in the Nasdaq Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2113-27, December.
- Huberman, G. & Halka, D., 1999.
99-9, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Titman, Sheridan & Wermers, Russ, 1995. "Momentum Investment Strategies, Portfolio Performance, and Herding: A Study of Mutual Fund Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1088-1105, December.
- Tarun Chordia, 2001. "Market Liquidity and Trading Activity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 501-530, 04.
- Hilliard, Jimmy E, 1979. "The Relationship between Equity Indices on World Exchanges," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 103-14, March.
- Paul A. Gompers & Andrew Metrick, 2001.
"Institutional Investors And Equity Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(1), pages 229-259, February.
- Paul A. Gompers & Andrew Metrick, . "Institutional Investors and Equity Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 20-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Paul A. Gompers & Andrew Metrick, 1998. "Institutional Investors and Equity Prices," NBER Working Papers 6723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cha, Baekin & Oh, Sekyung, 2000. "The relationship between developed equity markets and the Pacific Basin's emerging equity markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 299-322, October.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2000. "Commonality in liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 3-28, April.
- S.G. Badrinath & Sunil Wahal, 2002. "Momentum Trading by Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2449-2478, December.
- Ripley, Duncan M, 1973. "Systematic Elements in the Linkage of National Stock Market Indices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(3), pages 356-61, August.
- Johnson, Robert R. & Jensen, Gerald R., 1993. "The reaction of foreign stock markets to U.S. discount rate changes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 181-193.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Harold Hassink & Laury Bollen & Meinderd de Vries, 2008. "Symmetrical dialogue in investor relations," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 16(2), pages 166-182, October.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- John R. Nofsinger & Richard W. Sias, 1999. "Herding and Feedback Trading by Institutional and Individual Investors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2263-2295, December.
- Kaushik Bhattacharya & Nityananda Sarkar & Debabrata Mukhopadhyay, 2003. "Stability of the day of the week effect in return and in volatility at the Indian capital market: a GARCH approach with proper mean specification," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 553-563.
- Ferreira, Miguel A. & Matos, Pedro, 2008. "The colors of investors' money: The role of institutional investors around the world," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 499-533, June.
- Sanjay Rajagopal & Patrick Hays, 2012. "Return Persistence in the Indian Real Estate Market," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 15(3), pages 283-305.
- Han-Ching Huang & Yong-Chern Su & Chun-Chi Shih, 2013. "Speed of Convergence to Market Efficiency: Example of Top loser Stocks," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 591-601.
- Khan, Walayet & Vieito, João Paulo, 2012. "Stock exchange mergers and weak form of market efficiency: The case of Euronext Lisbon," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 173-189.
- Bley, Jorg, 2011. "Are GCC stock markets predictable?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 217-237, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.