A simple model of service trade with time zone differences
AbstractThis note proposes a two-country model of service trade that captures the role of time zone differences as a determinant of trade patterns. It is shown that the utilization of communication networks induces dramatic change in industrial structure due to firms taking advantage of time zone differences.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165
Time zone differences Service trade Delivery cost;
Other versions of this item:
- Kikuchi, Toru & Iwasa, Kazumichi, 2008. "A Simple Model of Service Trade with Time Zone Differences," MPRA Paper 9574, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006.
"Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 44(3), pages 589-630, September.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 2006. "Trade, FDI and the Organization of Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 5589, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms," NBER Working Papers 12091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006. "Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2118, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Marjit, Sugata, 2007. "Trade theory and the role of time zones," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 153-160.
- Jones, Ronald & Kierzkowski, Henryk & Lurong, Chen, 2005. "What does evidence tell us about fragmentation and outsourcing?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 305-316.
- Toru Kikuchi, 2005. "Interconnected communications networks and home market effects," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 870-882, August.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2006:i:15:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carolyn L. Evans & James Harrigan, 2005. "Distance, Time, and Specialization: Lean Retailing in General Equilibrium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 292-313, March.
- Toru Kikuchi, 2006. "Time Zones, Outsourcing and Patterns of International Trade," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(15), pages 1-10.
- Caroline Freund & Diana Weinhold, 2002. "The Internet and International Trade in Services," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 236-240, May.
- Kikuchi, Toru & Long, Ngo Van, 2010.
"A simple model of service offshoring with time zone differences,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 217-227, December.
- Toru Kikuchi & Ngo Van Long, 2009. "A Simple Model of Service Offshoring with Time Zone Differences," Discussion Papers 0916, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Toru Kikuchi & Ngo Van Long, 2010. "A Simple Model of Service Offshoring with Time Zone Differences," CESifo Working Paper Series 2990, CESifo Group Munich.
- Matsuoka, Yuji & Fukushima, Marcelo, 2010. "Time zones, shift working and international outsourcing," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 769-778, October.
- Mukherjee, Arijit & Suetrong, Kullapat, 2012. "Trade cost reduction and foreign direct investment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1938-1945.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.