Corporate governance and technological dynamism of Chinese firms in mobile telecommunications: A quantitative study
AbstractThis paper sets out two frameworks, one for measuring static and dynamic technological capability in developing countries, one for predicting the effects on this of finance and corporate governance characteristics, and applies them together to Chinese mobile telecommunications manufacturing. Hypotheses on the effect of access to finance, ownership type and other corporate governance factors on capability are generated and tested on survey data for this industry. It is found that ownership type matters, but government's influence over management selection, matters more. Semi-privatised firms with arms-length relationships to government are most dynamic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2008)
Issue (Month): 10 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Corporate governance Technological dynamism Chinese economy Dynamic capability Mobile telecommunications;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- La Porta, Rafael & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997.
" Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 1131-50, July.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Working Paper 19443, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Kim, Linsu, 1999. "Building Technological Capability for Industrialization: Analytical Frameworks and Korea's Experience," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 111-36, March.
- Dahlman, Carl J. & Ross-Larson, Bruce & Westphal, Larry E., 1987. "Managing technological development: Lessons from the newly industrializing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 759-775, June.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Mark Lehrer & Andrew Tylecote & Emmanuelle Conesa, 1999. "Corporate Governance, Innovation Systems and Industrial Performance," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 25-50.
- Sanjaya Lall, 2001. "National strategies for technology adoption in the industrial sector: Lessons of recent experience in the developing regions," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2001-08, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- O'Sullivan, Mary, 2000. "The Innovative Enterprise and Corporate Governance," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 393-416, July.
- Lazonick, William & O'Sullivan, Mary, 1996. "Organization, Finance and International Competition," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 1-49.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Ozer, Muammer, 2009. "The roles of product lead-users and product experts in new product evaluation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 1340-1349, October.
- Xiao, Yangao & Tylecote, Andrew & Liu, Jiajia, 2013. "Why not greater catch-up by Chinese firms? The impact of IPR, corporate governance and technology intensity on late-comer strategies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 749-764.
- Choi, Suk Bong & Lee, Soo Hee & Williams, Christopher, 2011. "Ownership and firm innovation in a transition economy: Evidence from China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 441-452, April.
- Peltoniemi, Mirva, 2013. "Mechanisms of capability evolution in the Finnish forest industry cluster," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 190-205.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.