Measuring the unmeasurable: a country's non-R&D expenditure on product and service innovation
AbstractKnowledge about non-R&D expenditure on innovation activities such as patenting and licensing, design, trial production, tooling-up, manpower training, market research and investment in fixed assets, is still extremely sparse. Questions about the latter were very poorly answered in the recent Community Innovation Survey (CIS). With the aid of information regarding the quality of replies, we estimate missing values and then reach a national estimate of 1992 innovation expenditure in the manufacturing and service industries of the Netherlands. For policy discussions as well as for modelling, it is interesting to note that expenditure on product-related R&D (6,24 billion guilders) represents about 26% of total product (and service) innovation expenditure, the latter including 125 billion guilders for investment in fixed assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 25 (1997)
Issue (Month): 8 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Other versions of this item:
- Brouwer, E. & Kleinknecht, A., 1995. "Measuring the unmeasurable: a country's non-R&D expenditure on product and service innovation," Serie Research Memoranda 0009, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Danguy, Jérôme & de Rassenfosse, Gaétan & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2010.
"The R&D-patent relationship: An industry perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8145, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Danguy, Jérôme & de Rassenfosse, Gaétan & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2010. "The R&D-patent relationship: An industry perspective," EIB Papers 7/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Jérôme Danguy & Gaétan de Rassenfosse & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2010. "The R&D‐Patent relationship: An Industry Perspective," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-038, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arbussà, Anna & Coenders, Germà, 2005. "Innovation strategies in the presence of technology markets: evidence from Spanish innovative firms," Working Papers of the Department of Economics, University of Girona 15, Department of Economics, University of Girona.
- Dolfsma, W.A., 2005. "Appropriability in Services," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-021-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Jirjahn, Uwe & Kraft, Kornelius, 2006. "Do Spillovers Stimulate Incremental or Drastic Product Innovations? Hypotheses and Evidence from German Establishment Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-23, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2002. "An empirical test of models explaining research expenditures and research cooperation: evidence for the German service sector," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 747-774, June.
- Kleinknecht, Alfred & Montfort, Kees van & Brouwer, Erik, 2000. "How consistent are innovation indicators? : a factor analysis of CIS data," Serie Research Memoranda 0028, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Jérôme Danguy & Gaétan de Rassenfosse & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2013.
"On the Origins of the Worldwide Surge in Patenting: An Industry Perspective on the R&D-Patent Relationship,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2013n15, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Jérôme Danguy & Gaétan de Rassenfosse & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2013. "On the Origins of the Worldwide Surge in Patenting: An Industry Perspective on the R&D-patent Relationship," Working Papers ECARES 2013/143016, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Alfred Kleinknecht & Kees Van Montfort & Erik Brouwer, 2002. "The Non-Trivial Choice between Innovation Indicators," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 109-121.
- Hipp, Christiane & Grupp, Hariolf, 2005. "Innovation in the service sector: The demand for service-specific innovation measurement concepts and typologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 517-535, May.
- van Moorsel, Daryl & Cranfield, John A.L. & Sparling, David, 2005. "Factors Affecting Biotechnology Innovation in Canada: Analysis of the 2001 Biotechnology Use and Development Survey," Working Papers 34121, University of Guelph, Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Jürgen Peters, 2000. "Buyer Market Power and Innovative Activities," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 13-38, February.
- Arbussa, Anna & Coenders, Germa, 2007. "Innovation activities, use of appropriation instruments and absorptive capacity: Evidence from Spanish firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1545-1558, December.
- Marcel Dagenais & Pierre Mohnen, 2000. "Towards an Innovation Intensity Index: The Case of CIS 1 in Denmark and Ireland," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-20, CIRANO.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Juliette von Arx, 2004. "Bestimmungsfaktoren der Innovationstätigkeit und deren Einfluss auf Arbeitsproduktivität, Beschäftigung und Qualifikationsstruktur : Eine mikroökonometrische Untersuchung anhand von Paneldaten 198," KOF Working papers 04-91, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Uwe Jirjahn, 2012. "Industrielle Beziehungen und Innovationserfolg," Research Papers in Economics 2012-02, University of Trier, Department of Economics.
- Tavassoli, Sam & Jienwatcharamongkhol, Viroj, 2014. "Closing the Gap: An Empirical Evidence on Firm’s Innovation, Productivity, and Exports," CITR Working Paper Series 2014/06, Center for Innovation and Technology Research, Blekinge Institute of Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.