In the wake of tsunami: Lessons learned from the household decision to replant mangroves in Thailand
AbstractThe Indian Ocean tsunami has increased interest in replanting mangroves as natural storm barriers. This paper analyzes the household decision to replant mangroves in four case study villages in Thailand in line with existing studies on the voluntary contribution to step-level public goods and the decision by adult members of a household to devote some labor to an outside activity. The null hypothesis that dependency on mangrove-based income has no influence on participation in replanting is rejected. Awareness of community conservation efforts and of the environmental impacts of shrimp farms also motivates participation. Allocation of male and female labors to replanting is also found to be jointly determined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Resource and Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505569
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Pierre-Andr� Chiappori & Costas Meghir, 2005.
"Collective Labor Supply with Children,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(6), pages 1277-1306, December.
- James C. Cox & Vjollca Sadiraj, 2007.
"On Modeling Voluntary Contributions to Public Goods,"
Public Finance Review,
, vol. 35(2), pages 311-332, March.
- James C. Cox & Vjollca Sadiraj, 2006. "On Modeling Voluntary Contributions to Public Goods," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2006-26, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Edward B. Barbier & Mark Cox, 2003. "Does Economic Development Lead to Mangrove Loss? A Cross-Country Analysis," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(4), pages 418-432, October.
- Huffman, Wallace & Lange, Mark D., 1989.
"Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making,"
Staff General Research Papers
10986, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E & Lange, Mark D, 1989. "Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 471-80, August.
- Lise, Wietze, 2005. "A game model of people's participation in forest management in Northern India," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 217-240, May.
- Cherry, Todd L. & Kroll, Stephan & Shogren, Jason F., 2005.
"The impact of endowment heterogeneity and origin on public good contributions: evidence from the lab,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 357-365, July.
- Todd L. Cherry & Stephan Kroll & Jason F. Shogren, 2003. "The Impact of Endowment Heterogeneity and Origin on Public Good Contributions: Evidence from the Lab," Working Papers 03-05, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Blundell, R & Chiappori, PA & Meghir, C, 2005. "Collective labor supply with children," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Awudu Abdulai & Christopher L. Delgado, 1999. "Determinants of Nonfarm Earnings of Farm-Based Husbands and Wives in Northern Ghana," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 117-130.
- Offerman, Theo & Sonnemans, Joep & Schram, Arthur, 1996. "Value Orientations, Expectations and Voluntary Contributions in Public Goods," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 817-45, July.
- Lise, Wietze, 2000. "Factors influencing people's participation in forest management in India," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 379-392, September.
- Barbier, Edward B., 2012. "Natural capital, ecological scarcity and rural poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6232, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.