Energy behaviours as promoters of energy efficiency: A 21st century review
AbstractEnergy behaviours represent a significant untapped potential for the increase of end-use energy efficiency in buildings. Although energy behaviours are a major determinant of energy use in buildings, energy savings potential due to behaviour are usually neglected, albeit being referred to be as high as those from technological solutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leighty, Wayne & Meier, Alan, 2011. "Accelerated electricity conservation in Juneau, Alaska: A study of household activities that reduced demand 25%," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2299-2309, May.
- Faiers, Adam & Cook, Matt & Neame, Charles, 2007. "Towards a contemporary approach for understanding consumer behaviour in the context of domestic energy use," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 4381-4390, August.
- Faruqui, Ahmad & Sergici, Sanem & Sharif, Ahmed, 2010. "The impact of informational feedback on energy consumption—A survey of the experimental evidence," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 1598-1608.
- Nair, Gireesh & Gustavsson, Leif & Mahapatra, Krushna, 2010. "Factors influencing energy efficiency investments in existing Swedish residential buildings," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2956-2963, June.
- Yun, Geun Young & Steemers, Koen, 2011. "Behavioural, physical and socio-economic factors in household cooling energy consumption," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 2191-2200, June.
- Schleich, Joachim & Gruber, Edelgard, 2008. "Beyond case studies: Barriers to energy efficiency in commerce and the services sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 449-464, March.
- Swan, Lukas G. & Ugursal, V. Ismet, 2009. "Modeling of end-use energy consumption in the residential sector: A review of modeling techniques," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 1819-1835, October.
- Taylor, Peter G. & d'Ortigue, Olivier Lavagne & Francoeur, Michel & Trudeau, Nathalie, 2010. "Final energy use in IEA countries: The role of energy efficiency," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6463-6474, November.
- Mairet, Nicolas & Decellas, Fabrice, 2009. "Determinants of energy demand in the French service sector: A decomposition analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2734-2744, July.
- Breukers, S.C. & Heiskanen, E. & Brohmann, B. & Mourik, R.M. & Feenstra, C.F.J., 2011. "Connecting research to practice to improve energy demand-side management (DSM)," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 2176-2185.
- Barr, Stewart & Gilg, Andrew W & Ford, Nicholas, 2005. "The household energy gap: examining the divide between habitual- and purchase-related conservation behaviours," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1425-1444, July.
- Stephenson, Janet & Barton, Barry & Carrington, Gerry & Gnoth, Daniel & Lawson, Rob & Thorsnes, Paul, 2010. "Energy cultures: A framework for understanding energy behaviours," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 6120-6129, October.
- McCalley, L. T. & Midden, Cees J. H., 2002. "Energy conservation through product-integrated feedback: The roles of goal-setting and social orientation," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 589-603, October.
- Oikonomou, V. & Becchis, F. & Steg, L. & Russolillo, D., 2009. "Energy saving and energy efficiency concepts for policy making," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4787-4796, November.
- Ek, Kristina & Söderholm, Patrik, 2010. "The devil is in the details: Household electricity saving behavior and the role of information," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1578-1587, March.
- Webber, Carrie A. & Roberson, Judy A. & McWhinney, Marla C. & Brown, Richard E. & Pinckard, Margaret J. & Busch, John F., 2006. "After-hours power status of office equipment in the USA," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(14), pages 2823-2838.
- Abrahamse, Wokje & Steg, Linda, 2009. "How do socio-demographic and psychological factors relate to households' direct and indirect energy use and savings?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 711-720, October.
- Roetzel, Astrid & Tsangrassoulis, Aris & Dietrich, Udo & Busching, Sabine, 2010. "A review of occupant control on natural ventilation," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 1001-1013, April.
- Martinsson, Johan & Lundqvist, Lennart J. & Sundström, Aksel, 2011. "Energy saving in Swedish households. The (relative) importance of environmental attitudes," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5182-5191, September.
- Ueno, Tsuyoshi & Sano, Fuminori & Saeki, Osamu & Tsuji, Kiichiro, 2006. "Effectiveness of an energy-consumption information system on energy savings in residential houses based on monitored data," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 166-183, February.
- Schleich, Joachim, 2009. "Barriers to energy efficiency: A comparison across the German commercial and services sector," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2150-2159, May.
- Crosbie, Tracey, 2008. "Household energy consumption and consumer electronics: The case of television," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 2191-2199, June.
- Wang, Zhaohua & Zhang, Bin & Yin, Jianhua & Zhang, Yixiang, 2011. "Determinants and policy implications for household electricity-saving behaviour: Evidence from Beijing, China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3550-3557, June.
- Hargreaves, Tom & Nye, Michael & Burgess, Jacquelin, 2010. "Making energy visible: A qualitative field study of how householders interact with feedback from smart energy monitors," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 6111-6119, October.
- Maréchal, Kevin, 2010. "Not irrational but habitual: The importance of "behavioural lock-in" in energy consumption," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1104-1114, March.
- Kok, Gerjo & Lo, Siu Hing & Peters, Gjalt-Jorn Y. & Ruiter, Robert A.C., 2011. "Changing energy-related behavior: An Intervention Mapping approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5280-5286, September.
- Yu, Philip C.H. & Chow, W.K., 2001. "Energy use in commercial buildings in Hong Kong," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 243-255, August.
- Burgess, Jacquelin & Nye, Michael, 2008. "Re-materialising energy use through transparent monitoring systems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4454-4459, December.
- Wall, Rob & Crosbie, Tracey, 2009. "Potential for reducing electricity demand for lighting in households: An exploratory socio-technical study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 1021-1031, March.
- Goldblatt, David L. & Hartmann, Christoph & Durrenberger, Gregor, 2005. "Combining interviewing and modeling for end-user energy conservation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 257-271, January.
- Azar, Elie & Menassa, Carol C., 2014. "A comprehensive framework to quantify energy savings potential from improved operations of commercial building stocks," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 459-472.
- Geelen, Daphne & Reinders, Angèle & Keyson, David, 2013. "Empowering the end-user in smart grids: Recommendations for the design of products and services," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 151-161.
- Virkki-Hatakka, Terhi & Luoranen, Mika & Ikävalko, Markku, 2013. "Differences in perception: How the experts look at energy efficiency (findings from a Finnish survey)," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 499-508.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.