Review of solar cooling methods and thermal storage options
AbstractPower shortage and unstable power supply remain serious problems. Conventional cooling technologies that utilize harmful refrigerants consume more energy and cause peak loads leading to negative environmental impacts. As the world grapples with the energy and environmental crisis, there is an urgent need to develop and promote environmentally benign sustainable cooling technologies. Solar cooling is one such promising technology, given the fact that solar energy is the cheapest and widely available renewable energy that matches the cooling load requirements. Thermal storage systems are essential to overcome the disadvantage of the intermittent nature of solar energy and variation in cooling demand. The enhanced utilization of solar energy and other consequences of thermal storage integrated systems have gained the attention of researchers in the recent years. This paper reviews research articles in the field of solar cooling techniques, solar collectors, storage methods and their integration, along with performance improvement studies reported using thermal stratification and cascaded thermal storage systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernández-García, A. & Zarza, E. & Valenzuela, L. & Pérez, M., 2010. "Parabolic-trough solar collectors and their applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(7), pages 1695-1721, September.
- Ghaddar, N. K. & Al-Marafie, A. M. & Al-Kandari, A., 1989. "Numerical simulation of stratification behaviour in thermal storage tanks," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 225-239.
- Fan, Y. & Luo, L. & Souyri, B., 2007. "Review of solar sorption refrigeration technologies: Development and applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(8), pages 1758-1775, October.
- Desideri, Umberto & Proietti, Stefania & Sdringola, Paolo, 2009. "Solar-powered cooling systems: Technical and economic analysis on industrial refrigeration and air-conditioning applications," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(9), pages 1376-1386, September.
- Medrano, M. & Yilmaz, M.O. & Nogués, M. & Martorell, I. & Roca, Joan & Cabeza, Luisa F., 2009. "Experimental evaluation of commercial heat exchangers for use as PCM thermal storage systems," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 2047-2055, October.
- Srikhirin, Pongsid & Aphornratana, Satha & Chungpaibulpatana, Supachart, 2001. "A review of absorption refrigeration technologies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 343-372, December.
- Mokhtar, Marwan & Ali, Muhammad Tauha & Bräuniger, Simon & Afshari, Afshin & Sgouridis, Sgouris & Armstrong, Peter & Chiesa, Matteo, 2010. "Systematic comprehensive techno-economic assessment of solar cooling technologies using location-specific climate data," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 3766-3778, December.
- Papadopoulos, A. M. & Oxizidis, S. & Kyriakis, N., 2003. "Perspectives of solar cooling in view of the developments in the air-conditioning sector," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 419-438, October.
- Zhai, X.Q. & Wang, R.Z., 2009. "A review for absorbtion and adsorbtion solar cooling systems in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(6-7), pages 1523-1531, August.
- Abdullah, Mohammad Omar & Hieng, Tang Chung, 2010. "Comparative analysis of performance and techno-economics for a H2O-NH3-H2 absorption refrigerator driven by different energy sources," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(5), pages 1535-1545, May.
- Mateus, Tiago & Oliveira, Armando C., 2009. "Energy and economic analysis of an integrated solar absorption cooling and heating system in different building types and climates," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(6), pages 949-957, June.
- Ievers, Simon & Lin, Wenxian, 2009. "Numerical simulation of three-dimensional flow dynamics in a hot water storage tank," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(12), pages 2604-2614, December.
- Parameshwaran, R. & Kalaiselvam, S. & Harikrishnan, S. & Elayaperumal, A., 2012. "Sustainable thermal energy storage technologies for buildings: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 2394-2433.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.