Wind energy potential of Gökçeada Island in Turkey
AbstractThe main objective of the present study is to estimate wind power potential of Gökçeada Island in the Northern Aegean Sea in Turkey using the wind data collected at four different locations. Wind data collected over a period of 3 years at Ugurlu and ÇInaraltI stations and a period of 10 years at AydIncIk and National Weather Station. In this regard, wind data collected at 10 and 30Â m of height above ground, were extrapolated to 50Â m which had been chosen as the wind turbine hub height, using power law. Extrapolated wind data of four stations were represented by Weibull probability density functions to find the wind speed distribution curves. Two Weibull parameters of the wind speed distribution function, shape parameter k (dimensionless) and scale parameter c (m/s) were calculated by the developed Fortran programme on monthly and yearly basis to find the wind profiles. Annual wind speed distributions throughout the Gökçeada Island were also obtained using the calculated Weibull probability density function parameters. The suitability of the distributions is judged by the discrepancies between the observed and calculated values of the monthly average wind speed. The results show the general availability of wind energy potential across Gökçeada Island.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 12 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ackermann, Thomas & Söder, Lennart, 2002. "An overview of wind energy-status 2002," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 67-127.
- Ozgener, Leyla, 2010. "Investigation of wind energy potential of Muradiye in Manisa, Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 3232-3236, December.
- Genç, Mustafa Serdar & Çelik, Muhammet & Karasu, İlyas, 2012. "A review on wind energy and wind–hydrogen production in Turkey: A case study of hydrogen production via electrolysis system supplied by wind energy conversion system in Central Anatolian Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(9), pages 6631-6646.
- Ouammi, Ahmed & Dagdougui, Hanane & Sacile, Roberto & Mimet, Abdelaziz, 2010. "Monthly and seasonal assessment of wind energy characteristics at four monitored locations in Liguria region (Italy)," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(7), pages 1959-1968, September.
- Dahmouni, A.W. & Ben Salah, M. & Askri, F. & Kerkeni, C. & Ben Nasrallah, S., 2011. "Assessment of wind energy potential and optimal electricity generation in Borj-Cedria, Tunisia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 815-820, January.
- Ohunakin, Olayinka S., 2011. "Wind resources in North-East geopolitical zone, Nigeria: An assessment of the monthly and seasonal characteristics," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 1977-1987, May.
- Yaniktepe, B. & Koroglu, T. & Savrun, M.M., 2013. "Investigation of wind characteristics and wind energy potential in Osmaniye, Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 703-711.
- Carta, J.A. & Ramírez, P. & Velázquez, S., 2009. "A review of wind speed probability distributions used in wind energy analysis: Case studies in the Canary Islands," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 933-955, June.
- Ouammi, A. & Sacile, R. & Mimet, A., 2010. "Wind energy potential in Liguria region," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 289-300, January.
- Wu, Jie & Wang, Jianzhou & Chi, Dezhong, 2013. "Wind energy potential assessment for the site of Inner Mongolia in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 215-228.
- Ucar, Aynur & Balo, Figen, 2009. "Evaluation of wind energy potential and electricity generation at six locations in Turkey," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 1864-1872, October.
- El Alimi, Souheil & Maatallah, Taher & Dahmouni, Anouar Wajdi & Ben Nasrallah, Sassi, 2012. "Modeling and investigation of the wind resource in the gulf of Tunis, Tunisia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(8), pages 5466-5478.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.