Re-investment and the survival of foreign-owned plants
AbstractForeign-owned plants have higher conditional exit rates, and this paper tests the hypothesis that re-investment "embeds" these plants, leading to significantly longer survival time durations. A unique dataset is used for 265 plants that commenced in foreign ownership after 1985 in North East England, distinguishing between start-up ("greenfield") and acquisition plants. Survival is measured at 2000, and the paper analyses the duration to the first re-investment and to survival, allowing for selection into the multiple investment state. It finds that re-investment increases the lifetime of start-up plants, but it is insignificant once selection is controlled for, while for acquisition plants there is no difference. Grants affect selection, but not the survival of plants. The paper offers little support for re-investment as a source of plant "embeddedness".
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Regional Science and Urban Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec
FDI Re-investment Plant survival Exit Duration analysis Grants;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992.
"Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
2914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991. "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1191-217, November.
- John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1999. "Gross job flows between plants and industries," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Mar, pages 41-64.
- Lillard, Lee A., 1993. "Simultaneous equations for hazards : Marriage duration and fertility timing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 189-217, March.
- H. D. Watts & J. D. Kirkham, 1999. "Plant Closures by Multi-locational Firms: A Comparative Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(5), pages 413-424.
- Colin Wren, 2005. "Regional grants: are they worth it?," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 26(2), pages 245-275, June.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995.
"Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994. "Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States," NBER Working Papers 4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G–rg, Holger & Eric Strobl, 2002.
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
89, Royal Economic Society.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2003.
"How do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3873, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in France," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in france," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Crozet, M. & Mayer, T. & Micchielli, J.L., 2000. "How Do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France?," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 2000.50, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Griffith, Rachel, 1999. "Using the ARD Establishment Level Data to Look at Foreign Ownership and Productivity in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(456), pages F416-42, June.
- Criscuolo, P. & Narula, R. & Verspagen, B., 2002.
"The relative importance of home and host innovation systems in the internationalisation of MNE R&D: a patent citation analysis,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
02.20, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Criscuolo,Paola & Narula,Rajneesh & Verspagen,Bart, 2002. "The relative importance of home and host innovation systems in the internationalisation of MNE R&D: a patent citation analysis," Research Memorandum 035, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Criscuolo, P. & Narula, R. & Verspagen, B., 2002. "The relative importance of home and host innovation systems in the internationalisation of MNE R&D: a patent citation analysis," Working Papers 02.20, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Dunne, Paul & Hughes, Alan, 1994. "Age, Size, Growth and Survival: UK Companies in the 1980s," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 115-40, June.
- Baden-Fuller, Charles W F, 1989. "Exit from Declining Industries and the Case of Steel Castings," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 949-61, December.
- Head, C. Keith & Ries, John C. & Swenson, Deborah L., 1999. "Attracting foreign manufacturing: Investment promotion and agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 197-218, March.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000.
"Location Determinants of New Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 323-351.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1997. "Location determinants of new foreign-owned manufacturing plants," Working Papers 1997-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Russell Cooper & John Haltiwanger & Laura Power, 1995.
"Machine Replacement and the Business Cycle: Lumps and Bumps,"
NBER Working Papers
5260, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Haltiwanger & Russell Cooper & Laura Power, 1999. "Machine Replacement and the Business Cycle: Lumps and Bumps," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 921-946, September.
- Russell Cooper & John Haltiwanger & Laura Power, 1995. "Machine Replacement and the Business Cycle: Lumps and Bumps," Papers 0062, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji, 2001. "Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 189-208, January.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen, 2007. "Firm location decisions, regional grants and agglomeration externalities," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 413-435, April.
- Kim, Seong-Hee & Pickton, Todd S. & Gerking, Shelby, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment: Agglomeration Economies and Returns to Promotion Expenditures," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 33(1), pages 61-72.
- Oivind Anti Nilsen & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1996.
"Zeroes and Lumps in Investment: Empirical Evidence on Irreversibilities and Non-Convexities,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
337., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Nov 2000.
- Øivind Anti Nilsen & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2003. "Zeros and Lumps in Investment: Empirical Evidence on Irreversibilities and Nonconvexities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1021-1037, November.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- Steven Brand & Stephen Hill & Max Munday, 2000. "Assessing the Impacts of Foreign Manufacturing on Regional Economies: The Cases of Wales, Scotland and the West Midlands," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 343-355.
- Jonathan Jones & Colin Wren, 2004. "Do Inward Investors Achieve their Job Targets?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(4), pages 483-513, 09.
- Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2002.
"Multinational Companies and Indigenous Development: An Empirical Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2002. "Multinational companies and indigenous development: An empirical analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(7), pages 1305-1322, July.
- Todd M. Gabe & David S. Kraybill, 2002. "The Effect of State Economic Development Incentives on Employment Growth of Establishments," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 703-730.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1995.
"The survival of new plants: Start-up conditions and post-entry evolution,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481, December.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Mata, José & Portugal, Pedro, 1995. "The Survival of New Plants: Start-up Conditions and Post-entry Evolution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- N. A. Phelps & Danny Mackinnon & Ian Stone & Paul Braidford, 2003. "Embedding the Multinationals? Institutions and the Development of Overseas Manufacturing Affiliates in Wales and North East England," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 27-40.
- Colin Wren, 2011. "Geographic Concentration, Observational Equivalence and the Source of Industrial Agglomeration," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1635, European Regional Science Association.
- Wren, Colin, 2012. "Geographic concentration and the temporal scope of agglomeration economies: An index decomposition," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 681-690.
- Jonathan Jones & Colin Wren, 2009. "The dynamics of FDI location: a markov analysis for British regions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33497, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jonathan Jones & Colin Wren, 2008. "FDI Location Across British Regions and Inward Investment Policy," SERC Discussion Papers 0013, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.