"The weighted average cost of capital is not quite right": A rejoinder
AbstractRichard Miller's reply (2008) to my comment (2008) on his claim (2007) that the standard WACC formula fails to correctly remunerate shareholders and bondholders raises crucial questions on the nature of the project's debt that he considers in his calculations. To clarify this point, I here introduce several possible definitions of a loan associated with a project, and discuss their respective relevance for a WACC calculation. In addition, Mr. Miller's suggestion that the standard WACC formula is not quite right remains unsubstantiated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 49 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620167
WACC Cost of capital Debt ratio Leverage ratio Cost of equity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A. Taggart & Jr., 1991. "Consistent valuation and Cost of Capital Expressions With Corporate and Personal Taxes," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(3), Fall.
- Isik Inselbag & Howard Kaufold, 1997. "Two Dcf Approaches For Valuing Companies Under Alternative Financing Strategies (And How To Choose Between Them)," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 10(1), pages 114-122.
- Axel Pierru & Denis Babusiaux, 2008. "Valuation of investment projects by an international oil company: a new proof of a straightforward, rigorous method," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 32(3), pages 197-214, 09.
- Richard S Ruback, 2002. "Capital Cash Flows: A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Cash Flows," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Keef, Stephen P. & Khaled, Mohammed S. & Roush, Melvin L., 2012. "A note resolving the debate on “The weighted average cost of capital is not quite right”," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 438-442.
- Keef, Stephen P & Khaled, Mohammed S & Roush, Melvin L, 2011. "A note resolving the debate on “The weighted average cost of capital is not quite right”," Working Paper Series 2003, Victoria University of Wellington, School of Economics and Finance.
- Keef, Stephen P & Khaled, Mohammed S & Roush, Melvin L, 2011. "Miller's (2009) WACC model: An extension," Working Paper Series 1995, Victoria University of Wellington, School of Economics and Finance.
- Pierru, Axel & Babusiaux, Denis, 2010. "WACC and free cash flows: A simple adjustment for capitalized interest costs," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 240-243, May.
- Pierru, Axel & Roussanaly, Simon & Sabathier, Jérôme, 2013. "Capital structure in LNG infrastructures and gas pipelines projects: Empirical evidences and methodological issues," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 285-291.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.