The impact of deviation from relative purchasing power parity equilibrium on U.S. foreign direct investment
AbstractAnalyzing inbound and outbound foreign direct investment (FDI) between the U.S. and seven developed countries over the period from 1994 to 2004, this study provides strong evidence for a positive relationship between aggregate FDI flows and a strengthening of a home currency. Further, taking exchange rate disequilibrium into account, we find that an increase in U.S. inbound FDI is related to a strengthening of an undervalued and overvalued U.S. dollar, while an increase in U.S. outbound FDI (foreign inbound FDI) is mainly related to a strengthening of an overvalued foreign currency. Disaggregate FDI flow data show that these findings hold mainly for the manufacturing (food and machinery) and the wholesale industry. We argue that our findings may provide evidence for a co-existence of the wealth-effect hypothesis and a more profit and production oriented hypothesis, once the U.S. dollar is undervalued. Additionally, the results support the argument that the profit and production oriented hypothesis dominates the wealth effect in developed countries, especially in the manufacturing and wholesale industry. Moreover, the results support the view that foreign investors are interested in how overvalued or undervalued a currency is, rather than being interested only in the recent direction of change in the exchange rate. Finally, all findings are robust with respect to several estimation procedures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 49 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620167
Foreign direct investments Purchasing power parity Exchange rate misalignments;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendry, David F., 2001. "Achievements and challenges in econometric methodology," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 7-10, January.
- Campa, Joe Manuel, 1993. "Entry by Foreign Firms in the United States under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 614-22, November.
- Goldberg, Linda S & Kolstad, Charles D, 1995.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Exchange Rate Variability and Demand Uncertainty,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(4), pages 855-73, November.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Kolstad, Charles D., 1994. "Foreign Direct Investment, Exchange Rate Variability and Demand Uncertainty," Working Papers 94-23, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Charles D. Kolstad, 1994. "Foreign Direct Investment, Exchange Rate Variability and Demand Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 4815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul De Grauwe & Guy Verfaille, 1988. "Exchange Rate Variability, Misalignment, and the European Monetary System," NBER Chapters, in: Misalignment of Exchange Rates, pages 77-104 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imad A Moosa & Buly A Cardak, 2003.
"The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: An Extreme Bounds Analysis,"
2003.02, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Moosa, Imad A. & Cardak, Buly A., 2006. "The determinants of foreign direct investment: An extreme bounds analysis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 199-211, April.
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Dewenter, Kathryn L, 1995. "Do Exchange Rate Changes Drive Foreign Direct Investment?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 405-33, July.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, January.
- Swenson, Deborah L., 1994. "The impact of U.S. tax reform on foreign direct investment in the United States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 243-266, June.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Lunn, John, 1980. "Determinants of U.S. direct investment in the E.E.C. : Further evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Simpson, Marc W., 2004. "Selectively hedging the US dollar with foreign exchange futures contracts," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 75-86, February.
- Strauss, Jack, 1996. "The cointegrating relationship between productivity, real exchange rates and purchasing power parity," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 299-313.
- Morey, Matthew R. & Simpson, Marc W., 2001. "To hedge or not to hedge: the performance of simple strategies for hedging foreign exchange risk," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 213-223, April.
- Craig S. Hakkio, 1992. "Is purchasing power parity a useful guide to the dollar?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 37-51.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992.
"Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
2914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991. "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1191-217, November.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MacDonald, Ronald, 2000. "Concepts to Calculate Equilibrium Exchange Rates: An Overview," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2000,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Grossmann, Axel & Simpson, Marc W., 2010. "Forecasting the Yen/U.S. Dollar exchange rate: Empirical evidence from a capital enhanced relative PPP-based model," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 476-484, October.
- Grossmann, Axel & McMillan, David G., 2010. "Forecasting exchange rates: Non-linear adjustment and time-varying equilibrium," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 436-450, October.
- Axel Grossmann & Marc Simpson, 2011. "Predictability of the U.S. Dollar Index using a U.S. export and import price index-based relative PPP model," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 417-433, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.