M-form hierarchy with poorly-diversified divisions: A case of Khrushchev's reform in Soviet Russia
AbstractWe test the premise of the theoretical literature that M-form political hierarchies are effective in creating yardstick competition between regional divisions only when those divisions have sufficiently diversified or similar industrial composition. The reason for this is that the competition among poorly diversified inter-related divisions creates incentives for regional leaders to pursue policies that inhibit industrial growth in neighboring regions in order to make their own region look better from the point of view of the center. We use a unique episode in Soviet history, when a traditional Soviet unitary-form (U-form) hierarchy was replaced by a multidivisional-form (M-form) organization, namely, Khrushchev's Sovnarkhoz reform. First, we demonstrate that during this reform regional leaders were subjected to relative performance evaluation, which created incentives to generate industrial growth. Second, we show that these career concerns resulted in higher growth in regions with sufficiently diversified and, therefore, self-contained economies, and lower growth in highly specialized regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Public Economics.
Volume (Year): 95 (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
M-form hierarchy; Yardstick competition; Soviet economy; Diversification;
Other versions of this item:
- Markevich, Andrei & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2011. "M-form hierarchy with poorly-diversified divisions: a case of Khrushchev’s reform in Soviet Russia," CEPR Discussion Papers 8221, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D73 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Bureaucracy; Administrative Processes in Public Organizations; Corruption
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- N44 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Europe: 1913-
- P3 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cai, Hongbin & Treisman, Daniel, 2004. "State corroding federalism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 819-843, March.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Jinyong Hahn & Whitney Newey, 2009.
"Identification and Estimation of Marginal Effects in Nonlinear Panel Models,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
wp2009-b, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Jinyong Hahn & Whitney Newey, 2008. "Identification and estimation of marginal effects in nonlinear panel models," CeMMAP working papers CWP25/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Jinyong Hahn & Whitney Newey, 2009. "Identification and estimation of marginal effects in nonlinear panel models," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Fisman, Raymond & Gatti, Roberta, 2000.
"Decentralization and corruption - evidence across countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2290, The World Bank.
- Fisman, Raymond & Gatti, Roberta, 2002. "Decentralization and corruption: evidence across countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 325-345, March.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
- Enikolopov, Ruben & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2007.
"Decentralization and political institutions,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(11-12), pages 2261-2290, December.
- Ruben Enikolopov & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2006. "Decentralization and Political Institutions," Working Papers w0065, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Ruben Enikolopov & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2004. "Decentralization and Political Institutions," Economics Working Papers 0045, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Enikolopov, Ruben & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2003. "Decentralization and Political Institutions," CEPR Discussion Papers 3857, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Li, Hongbin & Zhou, Li-An, 2005. "Political turnover and economic performance: the incentive role of personnel control in China," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1743-1762, September.
- Qian, Yingyi & Xu, Chenggang, 1993. "The M-form hierarchy and China's economic reform," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 541-548, April.
- repec:aea:jeclit:v:43:y:2005:i:3:p:721-761 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guriev, Sergei & Yakovlev, Evgeny & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2010.
"Interest group politics in a federation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(9-10), pages 730-748, October.
- Yingyi Qian & Gerard Roland & Chenggang Xu, 2006. "Coordination and Experimentation in M-Form and U-Form Organizations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(2), pages 366-402, April.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, January.
- Ye Chen & Hongbin Li & Li-An Zhou, 2005.
"Relative Performance Evaluation and the Turnover of Provincial Leaders in China,"
00010, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Ye & Li, Hongbin & Zhou, Li-An, 2005. "Relative performance evaluation and the turnover of provincial leaders in China," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 421-425, September.
- Jin, Hehui & Qian, Yingyi & Weingast, Barry R., 2005. "Regional decentralization and fiscal incentives: Federalism, Chinese style," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1719-1742, September.
- Maskin, Eric & Qian, Yingyi & Xu, Chenggang, 2000.
"Incentives, Information, and Organizational Form,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(2), pages 359-78, April.
- Eric Maskin & Yingyi Qian & Chenggang Xu, 1997. "Incentives, Information, and Organizational Form," Working Papers 97034, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Eric Maskin & Yingyi Qian & Chenggang Xu, 1999. "Incentives, Information, and Organizational Form," Working Papers 99009, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Musgrave, Richard A, 1969. "Theories of Fiscal Federalism," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 24(4), pages 521-36.
- Lazarev, Valery & Gregory, Paul, 2003. "Commissars and cars: A case study in the political economy of dictatorship," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Fan, C. Simon & Lin, Chen & Treisman, Daniel, 2009. "Political decentralization and corruption: Evidence from around the world," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 14-34, February.
- Pierre Salmon, 2013. "Horizontal competition in multilevel governmental settings," Working Papers hal-00830876, HAL.
- Pierre Salmon, 2013. "Decentralization and growth: what if the cross-jurisdiction approach had met a dead end?," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 87-107, June.
- Marina Dodlova, 2013. "Political Accountability and Real Authority of Government Bureaucracy," CESifo Working Paper Series 4443, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.