The looks of a winner: Beauty and electoral success
AbstractWe study the role of beauty in politics using candidate photos that figured prominently in electoral campaigns. Our investigation is based on visual assessments of 1929 Finnish political candidates from 10,011 respondents (of which 3708 were Finnish). As Finland has a proportional electoral system, we are able to compare the electoral success of non-incumbent candidates representing the same party. An increase in our measure of beauty by one standard deviation is associated with an increase of 20% in the number of votes for the average non-incumbent parliamentary candidate. The relationship is unaffected by including education and occupation as control variables and withstands several other robustness checks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Public Economics.
Volume (Year): 94 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
Beauty Elections Political candidates Appearance Competence Trustworthiness;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Leigh & Tirta Susilo, 2008.
"Is Voting Skin-Deep? Estimating the Effect of Candidate Ballot Photographs on Election Outcomes,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
583, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Leigh, Andrew & Susilo, Tirta, 2009. "Is voting skin-deep? Estimating the effect of candidate ballot photographs on election outcomes," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 61-70, February.
- Markus M. Mobius & Tanya S. Rosenblat, 2006.
"Why Beauty Matters,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 222-235, March.
- Daniel J. Benjamin & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2009. "Thin-Slice Forecasts of Gubernatorial Elections," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(3), pages 523-536, August.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Jeff E. Biddle, 1993.
"Beauty and the Labor Market,"
NBER Working Papers
4518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135.
- Armstrong, J. Scott & Graefe, Andreas, 2011. "Predicting elections from biographical information about candidates: A test of the index method," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(7), pages 699-706, July.
- Bockerman, Petri & Vainiomäki, Jari, 2012.
"Stature and life-time labor market outcomes: Accounting for unobserved differences,"
42220, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Böckerman, Petri & Vainiomäki, Jari, 2013. "Stature and life-time labor market outcomes: Accounting for unobserved differences," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 86-96.
- Böckerman, Petri & Vainiomäki, Jari, 2013. "Stature and Life-Time Labor Market Outcomes: Accounting for Unobserved Differences," IZA Discussion Papers 7424, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dreber Almenberg, Anna & Gerdes, Christer & Gränsmark, Patrik, 2010.
"Beauty Queens and Battling Knights: Risk Taking and Attractiveness in Chess,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5314, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dreber, Anna & Gerdes, Christer & Gränsmark, Patrik, 2013. "Beauty queens and battling knights: Risk taking and attractiveness in chess," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 1-18.
- Mario Mechtel, 2013. "It's the occupation, stupid! Explaining candidates' success in low-information elections," IAAEU Discussion Papers 201312, Institute of Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Union (IAAEU).
- Libman, Alexander, 2012.
"Перераспределительные Конфликты И Факторы Культуры В Новой Политической Экономии
[Redistributive Conflicts and Culture in the," MPRA Paper 48192, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Niclas Berggren & Henrik Jordahl & Panu Poutvaara, 2010.
"The Right Look: Conservative Politicians Look Better and their Voters Reward it,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3310, CESifo Group Munich.
- Niclas Berggren & Henrik Jordahl & Panu Poutvaara, 2011. "The Right Look: Conservative Politicians Look Better and Their Voters Reward it," Working Papers CEB 11-004, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Poutvaara, Panu, 2010. "The Right Look: Conservative Politicians Look Better and Their Voters Reward it," Ratio Working Papers 161, The Ratio Institute.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik & Poutvaara, Panu, 2011. "The Right Look: Conservative Politicians Look Better and Their Voters Reward It," IZA Discussion Papers 5513, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Schnellenbach, Jan, 2012. "Nudges and norms: On the political economy of soft paternalism," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 266-277.
- Donja Darai & Silvia Grätz, 2012. "Attraction and cooperative behavior," ECON - Working Papers 082, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised Dec 2012.
- Bradley J. Ruffle & Ze’ev Shtudiner, 2010. "Are Good-Looking People More Employable?," Working Papers 1006, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Böckerman, Petri & Johansson, Edvard & Kiiskinen, Urpo & Heliövaara, Markku, 2010. "The relationship between physical work and the height premium: Finnish evidence," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 414-420, December.
- Mechtel, Mario, 2011. "It's the occupation, stupid! Explaining candidates' success in low-information local elections," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48682, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.