Collusion-proof yardstick competition
AbstractThis paper analyses the incentives for collusion when an industry is regulated by means of yardstick competition. The central assumption is that firms must write collusive side contracts before the revelation of private information are unable to communicate later.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Public Economics.
Volume (Year): 83 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
Other versions of this item:
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demski, Joel S. & Sappington, David, 1984. "Optimal incentive contracts with multiple agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 152-171, June.
- Laffont, J.J. & Martimort, D., 1995.
"Collusion and Delegation,"
95.397, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1992.
"Regulation by Duopoly,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(3), pages 507-33, Fall.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, January.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1995.
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121883, January.
- Laffont, J.J. & Martimort, D., 1996.
"Collusion Under Asymmetric Information,"
95.389, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Joel Sobel, 1999. "A Reexamination of Yardstick Competition," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 33-60, 03.
- Cowan, Simon, 1997. "Competition in the Water Industry," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 83-92, Spring.
- Dag Morten Dalen, 1998. "Yardstick Competition and Investment Incentives," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 105-126, 03.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Martimort, David, 1998.
"Mechanism Design with Collusion and Correlation,"
IDEI Working Papers
81, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1982.
"Moral Hazard in Teams,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 324-340, Autumn.
- Mookherjee, Dilip, 1984. "Optimal Incentive Schemes with Many Agents," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 433-46, July.
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1988. "Full Extraction of the Surplus in Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1247-57, November.
- Damme, E.E.C. van & Potters, J.J.M. & Rockenbach, B. & Sadrieh, A., 2003.
"Collusion under Yardstick Competition: An Experimental Study,"
2003-009, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Potters, Jan & Rockenbach, Bettina & Sadrieh, Abdolkarim & van Damme, Eric, 2004. "Collusion under yardstick competition: an experimental study," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1017-1038, September.
- Potters, J.J.M. & Rockenbach, B. & Sadrieh, A. & Damme, E.E.C. van, 2004. "Collusion under yardstick competition: An experimental study," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-141666, Tilburg University.
- Potters, J.J.M. & Rockenbach, B. & Sadrieh, A. & Damme, E.E.C. van, 2003. "Collusion under Yardstick Competition: An Experimental Study," Discussion Paper 2003-97, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Piccolo, Salvatore & D'Amato, Marcello & Martina, Riccardo, 2008. "Product market competition and organizational slack under profit-target contracts," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1389-1406, November.
- Georg Meran & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006.
"A Modified Yardstick Competition Mechanism,"
2006-05, Center for Network Industries and Infrastructure (CNI).
- Eshien Chong & Freddy Huet, 2009. "Yardstick Competition, Franchise Bidding and Firms’ Incentives to Collude," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 149-169, September.
- Martine M. Bellanger & Philippe R. Mossé, 2005. "The search for the Holy Grail: combining decentralised planning and contracting mechanisms in the French health care system," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages S119-S132.
- Marco Meireles & Paula Sarmento, 2009. "Incomplete Regulation, Asymmetric Information and Collusion-Proofness," FEP Working Papers 320, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Marques, Rui Cunha, 2006. "A yardstick competition model for Portuguese water and sewerage services regulation," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 175-184, September.
- Roberta Longo & Marisa Miraldo & Andrew Street, 2008.
"Price regulation of pluralistic markets subject to provider collusion,"
045cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Longo, R & Miraldo, M & Street, A, 2009. "Price regulation of pluralistic markets subject to provider collusion," Working Papers 1454, Imperial College, London, Imperial College Business School.
- Eshien Chong & Freddy Huet, 2006. "Enchères, concurrence par comparaison et collusion," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(3), pages 583-592.
- Haldun Evrenk & E. Zenginobuz, 2010.
"Regulation through a revenue contest,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 99(3), pages 211-237, April.
- V. Bhaskar & Bishnupriya Gupta & Mushtaq Khan, 2002. "Partial Privatization and Yardstick Competition: Evidence from Employment Dynamics in Bangladesh," Economics Discussion Papers 545, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Anna Bottasso & Maurizio Conti, 2003. "Cost Inefficiency in the English and Welsh Water Industry: An Heteroskedastic Stochastic Cost Frontier Approach," Economics Discussion Papers 573, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.