A comparison of the constant-order and dual-index policy for dual sourcing
AbstractWe analyze a single-product, periodic-review, stochastic demand inventory model with backorders and two supply options, a regular and a more expensive expedited one, with deterministic, offsetting lead times. Since the optimal policy for such a problem is generally unknown, several simpler policies have been proposed in the literature, e.g., the single-index (SIP), dual-index (DIP), or constant-order policy (COP). In previous research the DIP has been found to perform closely to the optimal policy in specific numerical settings. The COP, on the other hand, is very appealing from a practical point of view. We explore the relative cost performance of these two policies in a numerical study to gain insights into appropriate policy choices. We find that in settings, where dual sourcing is most valuable, the simpler COP delivers satisfactory results, sometimes even better ones than the DIP, and therefore represents a legitimate policy alternative for practical situations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 133 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Dual sourcing Dual index Constant order Multiple suppliers;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Minner, Stefan, 2003. "Multiple-supplier inventory models in supply chain management: A review," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 265-279, January.
- Janssen, Fred & de Kok, Ton, 1999. "A two-supplier inventory model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 395-403, March.
- Yoichiro Fukuda, 1964. "Optimal Policies for the Inventory Problem with Negotiable Leadtime," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 690-708, July.
- Chiang, Chi, 2007. "Optimal control policy for a standing order inventory system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 695-703, October.
- Serel, Doğan A., 2012. "Multi-item quick response system with budget constraint," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 235-249.
- Arts, Joachim & Kiesmüller, Gudrun P., 2013. "Analysis of a two-echelon inventory system with two supply modes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(2), pages 263-272.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.