A master production scheduling procedure for stochastic demand and rolling planning horizons
AbstractThe problem of interest is a one product, uncapacitated master production schedule (MPS) in which decisions are made under rolling planning horizons. Demand is stochastic and time varying, and effectiveness is measured by inventory holding, production setup, and backorder costs. Typically, in both the research literature and the business practice the stochastic nature of the problem is modeled in an ad hoc fashion. The stochastic MPS problem is usually solved by adding safety stock to production quantities obtained from a deterministic lot-sizing algorithm. Here, the stochastic nature of the problem is explicitly considered, as an optimal algorithm for solving the static probabilistic dynamic lot-sizing problem is adapted to rolling planning horizons. The resulting algorithm is found to dominate traditional approaches over a wide variety of experimental factors, reducing total costs by an average of 16% over traditional methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 132 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Inventory management Master production scheduling Simulation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
- Richard Ehrhardt, 1979. "The Power Approximation for Computing (s, S) Inventory Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(8), pages 777-786, August.
- V. Sridharan & William L. Berry & V. Udayabhanu, 1987. "Freezing the Master Production Schedule Under Rolling Planning Horizons," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(9), pages 1137-1149, September.
- Vargas, Vicente, 2009. "An optimal solution for the stochastic version of the Wagner-Whitin dynamic lot-size model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(2), pages 447-451, October.
- Rezaei, Jafar & Davoodi, Mansoor, 2011. "Multi-objective models for lot-sizing with supplier selection," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 77-86, March.
- James H. Bookbinder & Jin-Yan Tan, 1988. "Strategies for the Probabilistic Lot-Sizing Problem with Service-Level Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(9), pages 1096-1108, September.
- Samuel Karlin, 1960. "Dynamic Inventory Policy with Varying Stochastic Demands," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(3), pages 231-258, April.
- Liao, Gwo-Liang & Sheu, Shey-Huei, 2011. "Economic production quantity model for randomly failing production process with minimal repair and imperfect maintenance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 118-124, March.
- Cardós, Manuel & Babiloni, Eugenia, 2011. "Exact and approximate calculation of the cycle service level in periodic review inventory policies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 63-68, May.
- Dawande, Milind & Gavirneni, Srinagesh & Naranpanawe, Sanjeewa & Sethi, Suresh P., 2009. "Discrete forecast horizons for two-product variants of the dynamic lot-size problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 430-436, August.
- Lee, Shine-Der & Lan, Shu-Chuan, 2013. "Production lot sizing with a secondary outsourcing facility," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 414-424.
- Gahm, Christian & Dünnwald, Bastian & Sahamie, Ramin, 2014. "A multi-criteria master production scheduling approach for special purpose machinery," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 149(C), pages 89-101.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.