Outsourcing versus joint venture from vendor's perspective
AbstractEven though many studies have discussed outsourcing contracts from the client's perspective, little research has been done from the vendor's perspective. In this paper, we consider a vendor's outsourcing contract decision-making process, during which the market price and the vendor's operation cost are uncertain. This paper develops real option models to investigate whether a vendor firm should sign an outsourcing contract from its client or establish a joint venture with this client. Our results show that, while the feasibility of an outsourcing contract to the vendor increases with a higher contract price offered by the client, the feasibility of a joint venture depends on market conditions. We also find that there are loss-by-acceptance regions, in which either an outsourcing or a joint venture contract is currently feasible to start, but a vendor may sustain a loss by accepting such a contract.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 129 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Outsourcing Joint venture Net present value Real options;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1991.
"Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
3307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert, 1989. "Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 294, The World Bank.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1990. "Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment," Working papers 3137-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Abel, Andrew B & Eberly, Janice C, 1994.
"A Unified Model of Investment under Uncertainty,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1369-84, December.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, . "A Unified Model of Investment Under Uncertainty," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-93, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, 1995. "A Unified Model of Investment Under Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 4296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul R. Bergin & Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 2007.
"Outsourcing and Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
13144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bergin, Paul & Feenstra, Robert & Hanson, Gordon, 2006. "Outsourcing and Volatility," Working Papers 06-28, University of California at Davis, Department of Economics.
- Paul Bergin & Robert Feenstra, 2006. "Outsourcing and Volatility," Working Papers 628, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Jiang, Bin & Reinhardt, Gilles & Young, Scott T., 2008. "BOCOG's outsourcing contracts: The vendor's perspective," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 941-949, December.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-57, April.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Nalini Dayanand & Rema Padman, 2001. "Project Contracts and Payment Schedules: The Client's Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(12), pages 1654-1667, December.
- Chung-Lun Li & Panos Kouvelis, 1999. "Flexible and Risk-Sharing Supply Contracts Under Price Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(10), pages 1378-1398, October.
- Lenos Trigeorgis, 1993. "Real Options and Interactions With Financial Flexibility," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(3), Fall.
- Alvarez, Luis H.R. & Stenbacka, Rune, 2007. "Partial outsourcing: A real options perspective," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 91-102, February.
- David Johnstone, 2002. "Public Sector Outsourcing as an Exchange Option," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(2), pages 153-176.
- Lee, Tan, 2004. "Determinants of the foreign equity share of international joint ventures," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2261-2275, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.