Does the adoption of new technology boost productive efficiency in the public sector? The case of ICUs system
AbstractIn the last decade, a significant amount of financial resources has been devoted by the Greek Government and the European Union to provide the intensive care units (ICU) of the Greek Public Health Care System with high-tech medical equipment in order to improve their productive efficiency. Using a unique data set, we employ the DEA bootstrap of Simar and Wilson (2007) approach to estimate the efficiency of each ICU and to explore the impact of these investments on their efficiency. Our results indicate that, although the technical efficiency is benefited from the embodiment of new medical technology, the scale efficiency remains unaffected. The role of the asymmetric information, of the ICUs' proximity to pools of knowledge and of the composition of the medical personnel, seems to be the crucial factors for the improvement of their productive efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 128 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Productive efficiency Intensive care units Medical technology Bootstrapped DEA;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyan Jovanovic & Yaw Nyarko, 1994.
"Learning By Doing and the Choice of Technology,"
NBER Working Papers
4739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Argote, Linda & Ingram, Paul, 2000. "Knowledge Transfer: A Basis for Competitive Advantage in Firms," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 150-169, May.
- Dervaux, B. & Leleu, H. & Minvielle, E. & Valdmanis, V. & Aegerter, P. & Guidet, B., 2009. "Performance of French intensive care units: A directional distance function approach at the patient level," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 585-594, August.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999.
"Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- Assaf, A., 2010. "Bootstrapped scale efficiency measures of UK airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 42-44.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas & Gounaris, Chrysostomos, 2001. "Assessing the technical and allocative efficiency of hospital operations in Greece and its resource allocation implications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 416-431, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998.
"A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Dimitris Skuras & Kostas Tsekouras & Efthalia Dimara & Dimitris Tzelepis, 2006. "The Effects of Regional Capital Subsidies on Productivity Growth: A Case Study of the Greek Food and Beverage Manufacturing Industry," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 355-381.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- H. Fried & C. Lovell & S. Schmidt & S. Yaisawarng, 2002. "Accounting for Environmental Effects and Statistical Noise in Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 157-174, January.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Leibenstein, Harvey & Maital, Shlomo, 1992. "Empirical Estimation and Partitioning of X-Inefficiency: A Data-Envelopment Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 428-33, May.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Roos, P., 1995. "Productivity and quality changes in Swedish pharmacies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 137-144, April.
- Tsekouras, Kostas D. & Pantzios, Christos J. & Karagiannis, Giannis, 2004. "Malmquist productivity index estimation with zero-value variables: The case of Greek prefectural training councils," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 95-106, May.
- Lin, Winston T. & Chiang, Chung-Yean, 2011. "The impacts of country characteristics upon the value of information technology as measured by productive efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 13-33, July.
- Hervé Leleu & James Moises & Vivian Valdmanis, 2011.
"Optimal productive size of hospital’s intensive care units,"
2011-ECO-01, IESEG School of Management.
- Leleu, Hervé & Moises, James & Valdmanis, Vivian, 2012. "Optimal productive size of hospital's intensive care units," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 297-305.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2012. "Bootstrapping the Malmquist indexes for Italian airports," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 403-411.
- Panagiotis Mitropoulos & Ioannis Mitropoulos & Aris Sissouras, 2013. "Managing for efficiency in health care: the case of Greek public hospitals," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 14(6), pages 929-938, December.
- Arocena, Pablo & Oliveros, Diana, 2012. "The efficiency of state-owned and privatized firms: Does ownership make a difference?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 457-465.
- Kostas Kounetas & Fotis Papathanassopoulos, 2013. "How efficient are Greek hospitals? A case study using a double bootstrap DEA approach," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 14(6), pages 979-994, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.