Small medium manufacturing enterprises in Turkey: An analytic network process framework for prioritizing factors affecting success
AbstractA multiple criteria framework has been developed to prioritize the measures of success and the antecedents for Turkish small to medium sized manufacturing enterprises. Analytical network process (ANP) has been used to construct the framework because of the dependency among measures of success and the antecedents. Methodology requires expert judgments. Experts were interviewed individually without interacting and not knowing each other's judgments. Influences among the factors were elicited from each expert separately. We only asked the relative strength of direct influences of two factors with respect to the third (controlling) factor. Second, third, fourth, ..., nth degree of influences are captured by analytical network process (ANP). ANP evaluates both quantitative and qualitative criteria. Both individual and aggregated results are given. Contrary to the experts' expectation prior to study, influence of the entrepreneur turned out to have far less impact on success than some of the external factors such as regulation and policies, facility location, intensity of competition and stage of industry. Sales were the most significant measure of success in line with the literature on small medium sized enterprises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 125 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Small medium manufacturing enterprises Application of multiple criteria decision making Analytical network process Emerging markets;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jharkharia, Sanjay & Shankar, Ravi, 2007. "Selection of logistics service provider: An analytic network process (ANP) approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 274-289, June.
- Erzan, Refik & Filiztekin, Alpay, 1997. "Competitiveness of Turkish SMSEs in the Customs Union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 881-892, April.
- Partovi, Fariborz Y., 2007. "An analytical model of process choice in the chemical industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 213-227, January.
- Man, Thomas W. Y. & Lau, Theresa & Chan, K. F., 2002. "The competitiveness of small and medium enterprises: A conceptualization with focus on entrepreneurial competencies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 123-142, March.
- Sarkis, Joseph, 2003. "Quantitative models for performance measurement systems--alternate considerations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 81-90, October.
- Kengpol, Athakorn & Tuominen, Markku, 2006. "A framework for group decision support systems: An application in the evaluation of information technology for logistics firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 159-171, May.
- Bayazit, Ozden & Karpak, Birsen, 2007. "An analytical network process-based framework for successful total quality management (TQM): An assessment of Turkish manufacturing industry readiness," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 79-96, January.
- Chung, Shu-Hsing & Lee, Amy H. I. & Pearn, W. L., 2005. "Analytic network process (ANP) approach for product mix planning in semiconductor fabricator," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 15-36, April.
- Murphy, Gregory B. & Trailer, Jeff W. & Hill, Robert C., 1996. "Measuring performance in entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 15-23, May.
- Kengpol, Athakorn & Boonkanit, Prin, 2011. "The decision support framework for developing Ecodesign at conceptual phase based upon ISO/TR 14062," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 4-14, May.
- Ayağ, Zeki & Gürcan Özdemir, Rifat, 2012. "Evaluating machine tool alternatives through modified TOPSIS and alpha-cut based fuzzy ANP," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 630-636.
- Soininen, Juha & Martikainen, Minna & Puumalainen, Kaisu & Kyläheiko, Kalevi, 2012. "Entrepreneurial orientation: Growth and profitability of Finnish small- and medium-sized enterprises," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 614-621.
- Gunday, Gurhan & Ulusoy, Gunduz & Kilic, Kemal & Alpkan, Lutfihak, 2011. "Effects of innovation types on firm performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 662-676, October.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.