Discrete forecast horizons for two-product variants of the dynamic lot-size problem
AbstractMotivated by the recent success of integer programming based procedures for computing discrete forecast horizons, we consider two-product variants of the classical dynamic lot-size model. In the first variant, we impose a warehouse capacity constraint on the total ending inventory of the two products in any period. In the second variant, the two products have both individual and joint setup costs for production. To our knowledge, there are no known procedures for computing forecast horizons for these variants. Under the assumption that future demands are discrete, we characterize forecast horizons for these two variants as feasibility/optimality questions in 0-1 mixed integer programs. A detailed computational study establishes the effectiveness of our approach and enables us to gain valuable insights into the behavior of minimal forecast horizons.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 120 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
[square filled; end of proof] [square filled; end of proof] [square filled; end of proof];
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
- Harvey M. Wagner, 2004. "Comments on ÜDynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size ModelÝ," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(12_supple), pages 1775-1777, December.
- Jaruphongsa, Wikrom & Cetinkaya, Sila & Lee, Chung-Yee, 2004. "Warehouse space capacity and delivery time window considerations in dynamic lot-sizing for a simple supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 169-180, November.
- Suresh Chand & Vernon Ning Hsu & Suresh Sethi, 2002. "Forecast, Solution, and Rolling Horizons in Operations Management Problems: A Classified Bibliography," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 4(1), pages 25-43, September.
- Suresh Chand & Thomas E. Morton, 1982. "A Perfect Planning Horizon Procedure for a Deterministic Cash Balance Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(6), pages 652-669, June.
- Vargas, Vicente & Metters, Richard, 2011. "A master production scheduling procedure for stochastic demand and rolling planning horizons," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 296-302, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.