Traceability as a strategic tool to improve inventory management: A case study in the food industry
AbstractOur aim in this research is to show that traceability can become much more than just a way to guarantee food safety. To illustrate this idea, we have developed a longitudinal case study of one firm in the Spanish vegetable industry. We show the reasons why this firm decided to implement a computerised traceability system, and we describe how the use of its traceability system has provided them with many qualitative and quantitative advantages along the different stages of their supply chain, their manufacturing operations and their inventory and logistics activities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 118 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Traceability Supply chain Innovation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Jose Álvarez & Jose Antonio Alfaro & Luis Arturo Rabade, 2006. "Buyer-Supplier Relationships Influence On Traceability Implementation In The Vegetable Industry," Business Economics Working Papers wb060502, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Resende-Filho, Moises & Buhr, Brian, 2007.
"Economics of traceability for mitigation of food recall costs,"
3650, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Resende Filho, Moises de Andrade & Buhr, Brian L., 2012. "Economics of Traceability for Mitigation of Food Recall Costs," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126193, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wang, X. & Li, D. & O'brien, C. & Li, Y., 2010. "A production planning model to reduce risk and improve operations management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 463-474, April.
- Holmström, Jan & Främling, Kary & Ala-Risku, Timo, 2010. "The uses of tracking in operations management: Synthesis of a research program," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 267-275, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.