Tracking, tracing, and business process interests in food commodities: A multi-level decision complexity
AbstractThe ability for tracking and tracing activities has become a common feature in supply chains not the least because of quality assurance and product liability considerations. Furthermore, food safety concerns have put tracking and tracing at the centre point of discussions on the development of a competitive and sustainable food production. However, in commodities and especially in food commodities, the establishment of tracking and tracing capabilities meets many barriers that have prevented their broad based use beyond what is legally required. Characteristics in the food sector as well as the nature of food commodity products may result in unfavourable cost-benefit considerations at enterprise levels. The view is different at sector and policy levels which creates a complex decision situation. The paper develops a suitable tracking and tracing process and decision model which also supports the understanding of the deadlock the sector is in. The decision situation for enterprises and the sector is summarized in a cost-benefit decision table that provides a framework for future developments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 117 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Tracking and tracing Food commodities Decision support;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fulponi, Linda, 2006. "Private voluntary standards in the food system: The perspective of major food retailers in OECD countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Wilson, William W. & Henry, Xavier & Dahl, Bruce L., 2005.
"Costs And Risks Of Conforming To Eu Traceability Requirements: The Case Of Hard Red Spring Wheat,"
Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report
23484, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- William W. Wilson & Xavier Henry & Bruce L. Dahl, 2008. "Costs and risks of conforming to EU traceability requirements: the case of hard red spring wheat," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(1), pages 85-101.
- Jill E. Hobbs, 2004. "Information asymmetry and the role of traceability systems," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 397-415.
- Sébastien Pouliot & Daniel A. Sumner, 2008.
"Traceability, Liability, and Incentives for Food Safety and Quality,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(1), pages 15-27.
- Pouliot, Sebastien & Sumner, Daniel A., 2006. "Traceability, Liability and Incentives for Food Safety and Quality," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21121, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pouliot, Sebastien & Sumner, Daniel A., 2010. "Traceability, Liability, and Incentives for Food Safety and Quality," Staff General Research Papers 32126, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alastair Iles, 2005. "Learning in Sustainable Agriculture: Food Miles and Missing Objects," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 14(2), pages 163-183, May.
- Trienekens, Jacques & Zuurbier, Peter, 2008. "Quality and safety standards in the food industry, developments and challenges," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 107-122, May.
- Souza Monteiro, Diogo M. & Caswell, Julie A., 2005. "The Economics of Traceability for Multi-Ingredient Products: A Network Approach," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19143, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- T. A. Lloyd & S. McCorriston & C. W. Morgan & A. J. Rayner, 2006. "Food scares, market power and price transmission: the UK BSE crisis," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 119-147, June.
- Michael R. Thomsen & Andrew M. McKenzie, 2001. "Market Incentives for Safe Foods: An Examination of Shareholder Losses from Meat and Poultry Recalls," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 526-538.
- Julie A. Caswell & Neal H. Hooker, 1996. "HACCP as an International Trade Standard," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 775-779.
- Moises A. Resende-Filho & Brian L. Buhr, 2008. "A Principal-Agent Model for Evaluating the Economic Value of a Traceability System: A Case Study with Injection-site Lesion Control in Fed Cattle," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(4), pages 1091-1102.
- Skees, Jerry R. & Botts, Aleta & Zeuli, Kimberly A., 2001. "The Potential For Recall Insurance To Improve Food Safety," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(01).
- Melanie Fritz & Gerhard Schiefer, 2008. "Food chain management for sustainable food system development: a European research agenda," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 440-452.
- Ngai, E.W.T. & Suk, F.F.C. & Lo, S.Y.Y., 2008. "Development of an RFID-based sushi management system: The case of a conveyor-belt sushi restaurant," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 630-645, April.
- Huirne, Ruud B.M. & Velthuis, Annet G.J. & van Erve, C. & Meuwissen, Miranda P.M., 2006. "Chain Level Dairy Innovation and Changes in Expected Recall Costs," 2006 Pre-Conference Workshops, July 22, Long Beach, CA 20424, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Golan, Elise H. & Krissoff, Barry & Kuchler, Fred & Calvin, Linda & Nelson, Kenneth E. & Price, Gregory K., 2004. "Traceability In The U.S. Food Supply: Economic Theory And Industry Studies," Agricultural Economics Reports 33939, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Ratapol Teratanavat & Victoria Salin & Neal H. Hooker, 2005. "Recall event timing: Measures of managerial performance in U.S. meat and poultry plants," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 351-373.
- Brofman Epelbaum, Freddy Moises & Garcia Martinez, Marian, 2014. "The technological evolution of food traceability systems and their impact on firm sustainable performance: A RBV approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 215-224.
- Soysal, Mehmet & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline.M. & Meuwissen, Miranda P.M. & van der Vorst, Jack G.A.J., 2012. "A Review on Quantitative Models for Sustainable Food Logistics Management," International Journal on Food System Dynamics, International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 3(2).
- Seyoum, Bruk Tefera & Adam, Brian D. & Ge, Candi, 2013. "The Value of Genetic Information in a Whole-Chain Traceability System for Beef," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150458, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hassini, Elkafi & Surti, Chirag & Searcy, Cory, 2012. "A literature review and a case study of sustainable supply chains with a focus on metrics," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 69-82.
- Resende Filho, Moises de Andrade & Buhr, Brian L., 2012.
"Economics of Traceability for Mitigation of Food Recall Costs,"
2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
126193, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Resende-Filho, Moises & Buhr, Brian, 2007. "Economics of traceability for mitigation of food recall costs," MPRA Paper 3650, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lehmann, Richard J. & Fritz, Melanie & Schiefer, Gerhard, 2011. "Information Reference Models for European Pork Supply Networks," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 122014, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Beske, Philip & Land, Anna & Seuring, Stefan, 2014. "Sustainable supply chain management practices and dynamic capabilities in the food industry: A critical analysis of the literature," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 152(C), pages 131-143.
- Piramuthu, Selwyn & Farahani, Poorya & Grunow, Martin, 2013. "RFID-generated traceability for contaminated product recall in perishable food supply networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(2), pages 253-262.
- Wang, X. & Li, D. & O'brien, C. & Li, Y., 2010. "A production planning model to reduce risk and improve operations management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 463-474, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.