Business process perspectives: Theoretical developments vs. real-world practice
AbstractBusiness processes have been discussed for more than a decade now. However, there are not as of yet comprehensive and substantial benefits that can justify the hype around the concept. This paper contrasts and summarises the main findings of literature research and a targeted survey conducted within the service industry in order to investigate the current state of research and practice regarding key aspects of business processes. The survey involved the participation of 25 respondents working in service industry sectors such as finance, public sector and consultancy. The paper demonstrates that although theoretical developments are dealing with sophisticated issues around business processes, the service industry is reluctant to adopt a similar perspective and still uses simple and manual techniques in dealing with business processes. The main reason is that the service industry is not convinced that a business process approach could bring significant tangible and measurable benefits. This is due to the fact that there is no comprehensive and systematic solution proposed in terms of a fully functional business process software suite. The requirements for an integrated business process management tool include some of the paper's findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 114 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Volkner, Peer & Werners, Brigitte, 2000. "A decision support system for business process planning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 633-647, September.
- Hammer, Michael & Champy, James, 1993. "Reengineering the corporation: A manifesto for business revolution," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 90-91.
- Aguilar-Saven, R.S.Ruth Sara, 2004. "Business process modelling: Review and framework," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 129-149, July.
- Pinheiro de Lima, Edson & Gouvea da Costa, Sergio E. & Angelis, Jannis Jan & Munik, Juliano, 2013. "Performance measurement systems: A consensual analysis of their roles," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 524-542.
- Börner, René & Goeken, Matthias & Rabhi, Fethi, 2012. "SOA development and service identification: A case study on method use, context and success factors," Frankfurt School - Working Paper Series 189, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.