Applying the minimum relative entropy method for bimodal distribution in a remanufacturing system
AbstractThis paper provides a further investigation of a remanufacturing system studied by Tang et al. [2007. Planned lead time determination in a make-to-order remanufacturing system. International Journal of Production Economics 108, 426-435]. Due to the uncertainty of the disassembly lead time, purchasing lead time and yield rate, the probability density function (PDF) of the lead time for obtaining a component takes a bimodality form. In this paper, the minimum relative entropy (MRE) method, in which high-order moments are utilized, has been applied to approximate the lead time distribution. Numerical result shows that the MRE approach captures well the bimodality property. After reinvestigating the remanufacturing system, we verify the statement in Tang et al. that improving the recovery yield in disassembly does not necessarily improve the system performance. However, more accurate optimal decisions and system performance can only be evaluated by the advanced density function approximation method, such as MRE. Using data in an engine remanufacturing case, we further obtain managerial insights for supporting decision making in labor allocation, supplier selection and process investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 113 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van der Laan, Erwin & Dekker, Rommert & Salomon, Marc, 1996. "Product remanufacturing and disposal: A numerical comparison of alternative control strategies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-3), pages 489-498, August.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tang, Ou & Grubbstrom, Robert W. & Zanoni, Simone, 2007. "Planned lead time determination in a make-to-order remanufacturing system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 426-435, July.
- Wu, Ximing, 2003. "Calculation of maximum entropy densities with application to income distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 347-354, August.
- Shibuya, Takeshi & Dohi, Tadashi & Osaki, Shunji, 1998. "Optimal continuous review policies for spare part provisioning with random lead times," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 257-271, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.