Exploring problems related to the materials planning user environment
AbstractThis paper explores the existence of various user-environment problems (i.e. problems related to the planning organization, basic planning data, software support, education, and knowledge) and explains the impact of user-environment problems on the perceived planning performance of different materials planning methods (MRP, re-order point, kanban, run-out time, and periodic review methods). It is based on a survey of 153 manufacturing and 53 distributing companies in Sweden. Four distinct clusters of user environments are identified. It is shown how different materials planning methods perform differently in various user environments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 113 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jon Aarum Andersen & Patrik Jonsson, 2006. "Does Organization Structure Matter? On The Relationship Between The Structure, Functioning And Effectiveness," International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management (IJITM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 3(03), pages 237-263.
- M. Hossein Safizadeh & Larry P. Ritzman & Deven Sharma & Craig Wood, 1996. "An Empirical Analysis of the Product-Process Matrix," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(11), pages 1576-1591, November.
- Olhager, Jan & Selldin, Erik, 2004. "Supply chain management survey of Swedish manufacturing firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 353-361, June.
- Wong, Poh-Kam & Ngin, Phyllisis M., 1997. "Automation and organizational performance: The case of electronics manufacturing firms in Singapore," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 257-268, October.
- Plenert, Gerhard, 1999. "Focusing material requirements planning (MRP) towards performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 91-99, November.
- Lee J. Krajewski & Barry E. King & Larry P. Ritzman & Danny S. Wong, 1987. "Kanban, MRP, and Shaping the Manufacturing Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(1), pages 39-57, January.
- Sum, Chee-Chuong & Quek, Ser-Aik & Lim, Hoon-Eng, 1999. "Analysing interaction effects on MRP implementation using ACE," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 303-318, January.
- Sun, Albert Y.T. & Yazdani, Abe & Overend, John D., 2005. "Achievement assessment for enterprise resource planning (ERP) system implementations based on critical success factors (CSFs)," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 189-203, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.