How representative is the European Union Parliament?
AbstractWe test the closeness of the correspondence between the preferences of EU citizens and their delegations to the European Parliament using data on roll-call votes. Differences in EU citizens' preferences are captured using a variety of country characteristics including bilateral country dummy variables, and the demographic, social and economic characteristics of the countries. We find that the differences in delegations' voting patterns are not strongly related to underlying differences between the countries they represent. Our findings support the existence of a democratic deficit in the EU -- a gap between the preferences of EU citizens and the way their delegations vote.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 27 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505544
European parliament Roll-call votes Voter preferences;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas Follesdal & Simon Hix, 2006. "Why There is a Democratic Deficit in the EU: A Response to Majone and Moravcsik," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 533-562, 09.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Ginsburgh, Victor & Weber, Shlomo, 2009.
"Voting on the choice of core languages in the European Union,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 56-62, March.
- Jan Fidrmuc & Victor Ginsburgh & Shlomo Weber , 2008. "Voting on the Choice of Core Languages in the European UnionÂ ," Working Papers 005-08, International School of Economics at TSU, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia.
- Jan Fidrmuc & Victor Ginsburgh & Shlomo Weber, 2009. "Voting on the choice of core languages in the European Union," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/99264, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Stefan Napel & Mika Widgrén, 2006.
"The Inter-Institutional Distribution of Power in EU Codecision,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 129-154, August.
- Stefan Napel & Mika Widgrén, 2004. "The Inter-Institutional Distribution of Power in EU Codecision," CESifo Working Paper Series 1347, CESifo Group Munich.
- Napel, Stefan & Widgren, Mika, 2004. "The Inter-institutional Distribution of Power in EU Codecision," Discussion Papers 944, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Abdul Ghafar Noury, 2002.
"Ideology, nationality and Euro-parliamentarians,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7762, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Abdul Noury, 2000. "Ideology, Nationality and Euro-Parliamentarians," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1285, Econometric Society.
- Kauppi, Heikki & Widgren, Mika, 2007. "Voting rules and budget allocation in the enlarged EU," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 693-706, September.
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & José M.R. Murteira, 2009.
"Alternative estimating and testing empirical strategies for fractional regression models,"
CEFAGE-UE Working Papers
2009_08, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & José M.R. Murteira, 2011. "Alternative Estimating And Testing Empirical Strategies For Fractional Regression Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 19-68, 02.
- Abdul Ghafar Noury & Simon Hix & Gérard Roland, 2006. "Dimensions of politics in the European Parliament," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7750, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Simon Hix, 2001. "Legislative Behaviour and Party Competition in the European Parliament: An Application of Nominate to the EU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 663-688, November.
- Charles B. Blankart & Gerrit B. Koester, 2009. "Refocusing the EU Budget ? An Institutional View," CREMA Working Paper Series 2009-16, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Abdul Ghafar Noury & Simon Hix & Gérard Roland, 2007. "Democratic politics in the European Parliament," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7744, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.