Regime switching dynamics in credit default swaps: Evidence from smooth transition autoregressive model
AbstractThis paper investigates the dynamics of credit default swap (CDS) spread. We first find auto-correlations and cross-correlations of the CDS series and the CDS average by employing detrended cross-correlation analysis (DCCA). We then employ smooth transition autoregressive (STAR) models to characterize the regime switching behavior of 28 US corporate CDS series from January 2007 through October 2009. In each case, we find clear evidence for transitions between low-price and high-price regimes. The threshold estimations of the STAR model effectively differentiate the price regimes, where the first transition consistently coincides with the explosion of the crisis in late 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 391 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Credit default swap; Detrended cross-correlations analysis; Smooth transition autoregressive model; Financial crisis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander, Carol & Kaeck, Andreas, 2008. "Regime dependent determinants of credit default swap spreads," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1008-1021, June.
- Sarantis, Nicholas, 2001. "Nonlinearities, cyclical behaviour and predictability in stock markets: international evidence," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 459-482.
- Zunino, L. & Tabak, B.M. & Figliola, A. & Pérez, D.G. & Garavaglia, M. & Rosso, O.A., 2008. "A multifractal approach for stock market inefficiency," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(26), pages 6558-6566.
- Yuan, Ying & Zhuang, Xin-tian & Jin, Xiu, 2009. "Measuring multifractality of stock price fluctuation using multifractal detrended fluctuation analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(11), pages 2189-2197.
- van Dijk, Dick & Teräsvirta, Timo & Franses, Philip Hans, 2000.
"Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models - A Survey of Recent Developments,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
380, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 17 Jan 2001.
- Dick van Dijk & Timo Terasvirta & Philip Hans Franses, 2002. "Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models — A Survey Of Recent Developments," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-47.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Terasvirta, T. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2000. "Smooth transition autoregressive models - A survey of recent developments," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2000-23/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Lundbergh, Stefan & Terasvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick, 2003.
"Time-Varying Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 21(1), pages 104-21, January.
- Lundbergh, Stefan & Teräsvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick, 2000. "Time-Varying Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 376, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Jiang, Zhi-Qiang & Chen, Wei & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2009. "Detrended fluctuation analysis of intertrade durations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(4), pages 433-440.
- Hull, John & Predescu, Mirela & White, Alan, 2004. "The relationship between credit default swap spreads, bond yields, and credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2789-2811, November.
- Terasvirta, T & Anderson, H M, 1992. "Characterizing Nonlinearities in Business Cycles Using Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S119-36, Suppl. De.
- Maximo Camacho, 2004. "Vector smooth transition regression models for US GDP and the composite index of leading indicators," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 173-196.
- Tse, Yiuman, 2001. "Index arbitrage with heterogeneous investors: A smooth transition error correction analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1829-1855, October.
- Jorion, Philippe & Zhang, Gaiyan, 2007. "Good and bad credit contagion: Evidence from credit default swaps," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 860-883, June.
- Kumar, Sunil & Deo, Nivedita, 2009. "Multifractal properties of the Indian financial market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(8), pages 1593-1602.
- Du, Guoxiong & Ning, Xuanxi, 2008. "Multifractal properties of Chinese stock market in Shanghai," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(1), pages 261-269.
- Litvin, Vladimir A., 2004. "Multiscaling behavior of transition economies before and after 1998 Russian financial crisis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 19-23.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.