Effective carrying capacity and analytical solution of a particular case of the Richards-like two-species population dynamics model
AbstractWe consider a generalized two-species population dynamic model and analytically solve it for the amensalism and commensalism ecological interactions. These two-species models can be simplified to a one-species model with a time dependent extrinsic growth factor. With a one-species model with an effective carrying capacity one is able to retrieve the steady state solutions of the previous one-species model. The equivalence obtained between the effective carrying capacity and the extrinsic growth factor is complete only for a particular case, the Gompertz model. Here we unveil important aspects of sigmoid growth curves, which are relevant to growth processes and population dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 391 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Population dynamics (ecology); Generalized logarithmic and exponential functions; Growth models; Richards model; Two-species model;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexandre Souto Martinez & Rodrigo Silva Gonzalez & Cesar Augusto Sangaletti Tercariol, 2008. "Continuous growth models in terms of generalized logarithm and exponential functions," Papers 0803.2635, arXiv.org, revised May 2008.
- Strzałka, Dominik & Grabowski, Franciszek, 2008. "Towards possible q-generalizations of the Malthus and Verhulst growth models," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(11), pages 2511-2518.
- Souto Martinez, Alexandre & Silva González, Rodrigo & Lauri Espíndola, Aquino, 2009. "Generalized exponential function and discrete growth models," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(14), pages 2922-2930.
- Grabowski, Franciszek, 2010. "Logistic equation of arbitrary order," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(16), pages 3081-3093.
- Martinez, Alexandre Souto & González, Rodrigo Silva & Terçariol, César Augusto Sangaletti, 2008. "Continuous growth models in terms of generalized logarithm and exponential functions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(23), pages 5679-5687.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.