Investigating the change of causality in emerging property markets during the financial tsunami
AbstractIn this paper, we employ the multivariate CUSUM (cumulative sum) test for covariance structure as well as the renormalized partial directed coherence (PDC) method to capture the structural causality change of real estate stock indices of five emerging Asian countries and regions (i.e., Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea, PR China, and Taiwan). Meanwhile, we develop a method to make the comparison of renormalized PDC more intuitive and a set of criteria to measure the result. One of our findings indicates that the regional influence of the Chinese real estate stock market on the causality structure of the five markets has arisen under the effect of the financial tsunami.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 391 (2012)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Financial crisis; Emerging real estate stock markets; Multivariate cumulate sum; Renormalized partial directed coherence;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaun Bond & Mardi Dungey & Renée Fry, 2006. "A Web Of Shocks: Crises Across Asian Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 253-274, May.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Susmel, Raul, 2001.
"Volatility dependence and contagion in emerging equity markets,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 505-532, December.
- Sebastian Edwards & Raul Susmel, 2001. "Volatility Dependence and Contagion in Emerging Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 8506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jian Yang & Cheng Hsiao & Qi Li & Zijun Wang, 2005.
"The Emerging Market Crisis and Stock Market Linkages: Further Evidence,"
IEPR Working Papers
05.27, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Cheng Hsiao & Zijun Wang & Jian Yang & Qi Li, 2006. "The emerging market crisis and stock market linkages: further evidence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(6), pages 727-744.
- Eddie Chi Man Hui & Qi Gu, 2009. "Study of guangzhou house price bubble based on state‐space model," International Journal of Strategic Property Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 287-298, September.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008.
"Is the 2007 US Sub-prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 339-44, May.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Is the 2007 U.S. Sub-Prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(3), pages 291-299, September.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "Is the 2007 U.S. Sub-Prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison," NBER Working Papers 13761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2008. "Is the 2007 US Sub-Prime Financial Crisis So Different? An International Historical Comparison," Scholarly Articles 11129156, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Sanders, Anthony, 2008. "The subprime crisis and its role in the financial crisis," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 254-261, December.
- Goetzmann, William N. & Jorion, Philippe, 1999.
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 1-32, March.
- William N. Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1997. "Re-emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 5906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Jorion & William N. Goetzmann, 1998. "Re-Emerging Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm111, Yale School of Management.
- William Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1998. "Re-emerging Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm50, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2000.
- David Crosthwaite, 2000. "The global construction market: a cross-sectional analysis," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(5), pages 619-627.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Jarl G. Kallberg & Crocker H. Liu & Paolo Pasquariello, 2002. "Regime Shifts in Asian Equity and Real Estate Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 263-291.
- Foote, Christopher L. & Gerardi, Kristopher & Goette, Lorenz & Willen, Paul S., 2008. "Just the facts: An initial analysis of subprime's role in the housing crisis," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 291-305, December.
- Quigley, John M., 2002.
"Real Estate and the Asian Crisis,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt4f4951b0, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Eddie Chi-Man Hui & Ivan Ng & Otto Muk-Fai Lau, 2011. "Speculative bubbles in mass and luxury properties: an investigation of the Hong Kong residential market," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 781-793, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.