Accurate estimator of correlations between asynchronous signals
AbstractThe estimation of the correlation between time series is often hampered by the asynchronicity of the signals. Cumulating data within a time window suppresses this source of noise but weakens the statistics. We present a method to estimate correlations without applying long time windows. We decompose the correlations of data cumulated over a long window using decay of lagged correlations as calculated from short window data. This increases the accuracy of the estimated correlation significantly and decreases the necessary effort of calculations both in real and computer experiments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 388 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Asynchronous signals; Correlation estimation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Precup, Ovidiu V. & Iori, Giulia, 2004. "A comparison of high-frequency cross-correlation measures," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 252-256.
- Maria Elvira Mancino & Paul Malliavin, 2002. "Fourier series method for measurement of multivariate volatilities," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 49-61.
- Scalas, Enrico, 2006. "The application of continuous-time random walks in finance and economics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 362(2), pages 225-239.
- Valeri Voev & Asger Lunde, 2007. "Integrated Covariance Estimation using High-frequency Data in the Presence of Noise," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(1), pages 68-104.
- Materassi, Donatello & Innocenti, Giacomo, 2009. "Unveiling the connectivity structure of financial networks via high-frequency analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(18), pages 3866-3878.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.