Value-at-risk and Tsallis statistics: risk analysis of the aerospace sector
AbstractIn this study, we analyze the aerospace stocks prices in order to characterize the sector behavior. The data analyzed cover the period from January 1987 to April 1999. We present a new index for the aerospace sector and investigate the statistical characteristics of this index. Our results show that this index is well described by Tsallis distribution. We explore this result and modify the standard value-at-risk (VaR) financial risk assessment methodology in order to reflect an asset which obeys Tsallis non-extensive statistics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 344 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Econophysics; Aerospace sector; Tsallis statistics; Value-at-risk;
Other versions of this item:
- Adriana P. Mattedi & Fernando M. Ramos & Reinaldo R. Rosa & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2004. "Value-at-Risk and Tsallis statistics: risk analysis of the aerospace sector," Papers cond-mat/0402654, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2004.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giacomo Bormetti & Maria Elena De Giuli & Danilo Delpini & Claudia Tarantola, 2008. "Bayesian Analysis of Value-at-Risk with Product Partition Models," Papers 0809.0241, arXiv.org, revised May 2009.
- Fernandez, Viviana & Lucey, Brian M., 2007. "Portfolio management under sudden changes in volatility and heterogeneous investment horizons," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 375(2), pages 612-624.
- Viviana Fernandez & Brian M. Lucey, 2006.
"Portfolio management implications of volatility shifts: Evidence from simulated data,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Viviana Fernandez & Brian M Lucey, 2006. "Portfolio management implications of volatility shifts: Evidence from simulated data," Documentos de Trabajo 219, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.