American depositary receipts: Asia-Pacific evidence on convergence and dynamics
AbstractThis study explores the convergence between the prices of American Depositary Receipts (ADRs) listed by Asia-Pacific firms and their original shares listed on home exchanges. Instead of relying on conventional parametric approaches that carry embedded model-specification errors, we contribute to the literature by introducing a nonparametric technique to estimate the convergence speed parameter. We present the time-varying characteristics of both firm and country-level convergence speed parameters. Furthermore, we empirically verify and visually corroborate the comparative dynamics of convergence with respect to short sales restrictions, trading time differences, and market-tier measures proxied by the Morgan Stanley Capital International indices. We conclude that enhancement in market efficiency accelerates the reversion to the parity of ADR-pairs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multinational Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 18 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/mulfin
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Melvin, .
"A Stock Market Boom During a Financial Crisis? ADRs and capital outflows in Argentina,"
2133524, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Melvin, Michael, 2003. "A stock market boom during a financial crisis?: ADRs and capital outflows in Argentina," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 129-136, October.
- Joachim Grammig & Michael Melvin & Christian Schlag, 2005.
"Internationally Cross-Listed Stock Prices During Overlapping Trading Hours: Price Discovery and Exchange Rate Effects,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
78, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Grammig, Joachim & Melvin, Michael & Schlag, Christian, 2005. "Internationally cross-listed stock prices during overlapping trading hours: price discovery and exchange rate effects," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 139-164, January.
- Gagnon, Louis & Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2004.
"Multi-market Trading and Arbitrage,"
Working Paper Series
2004-9, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Kim, Minho & Szakmary, Andrew C. & Mathur, Ike, 2000. "Price transmission dynamics between ADRs and their underlying foreign securities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 1359-1382, August.
- Rabinovitch, Ramon & Silva, Ana Cristina & Susmel, Raul, 2003. "Returns on ADRs and arbitrage in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 225-247, September.
- Lieberman, Offer & Ben-Zion, Uri & Hauser, Shmuel, 1999. "A characterization of the price behavior of international dual stocks: an error correction approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 289-304, February.
- Su, Qian & Chong, Terence Tai-Leung, 2007. "Determining the contributions to price discovery for Chinese cross-listed stocks," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 140-153, April.
- Arturo Bris & William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2007.
"Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets Around the World,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 62(3), pages 1029-1079, 06.
- William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu & Arturo Bris, 2003. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," NBER Working Papers 9466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arturo Bris & William Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2004. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm327, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Feb 2005.
- Arturo Bris & William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2004. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm15, Yale School of Management.
- Arturo Bris & William N. Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2003. "Efficiency and the Bear: Short Sales and Markets around the World," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm321, Yale School of Management.
- Ding, David K. & Harris, Frederick H. deB. & Lau, Sie Ting & McInish, Thomas H., 1999. "An investigation of price discovery in informationally-linked markets: equity trading in Malaysia and Singapore," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3-4), pages 317-329, November.
- Taylor, Mark P & Peel, David A & Sarno, Lucio, 2001.
"Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Toward a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1015-42, November.
- Peel, David & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Towards a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles," CEPR Discussion Papers 2658, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Emil Dabora, 1998.
"How are Stock Prices Affected by the Location of Trade?,"
NBER Working Papers
6572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Dabora, Emil M., 1999. "How are stock prices affected by the location of trade?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-216, August.
- Bin, Feng-Shun & Morris, Gay B. & Chen, Dar-Hsin, 2003. "Effects of exchange-rate and interest-rate risk on ADR pricing behavior," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 241-262, August.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-79, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chen, Haiqiang & Choi, Paul Moon Sub, 2012. "Does information vault Niagara Falls? Cross-listed trading in New York and Toronto," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 175-199.
- repec:wyi:journl:002166 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:wyi:journl:002160 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.