Did the Federal Reserve's MBS purchase program lower mortgage rates?
AbstractOn November 25, 2008, the Federal Reserve announced it would purchase mortgage-backed securities (MBS). This program affected mortgage rates through three channels: (1) improved market functioning in both primary and secondary mortgage markets, (2) clearer government backing for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and (3) anticipation of portfolio rebalancing effects. We use empirical pricing models for MBS yields and for mortgage rates to measure relative importance of channels: The first two were important during the height of the financial crisis, but the effects of the third depended on market conditions. Overall, the program put significant downward pressure on mortgage rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Monetary Economics.
Volume (Year): 58 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505566
MBS; Federal Reserve; GSEs; Mortgage;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillip Swagel, 2009.
"The Financial Crisis: An Inside View,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 40(1 (Spring), pages 1-78.
- Jefferson Duarte, 2008. "The Causal Effect of Mortgage Refinancing on Interest Rate Volatility: Empirical Evidence and Theoretical Implications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 1689-1731, July.
- Heuson, Andrea & Passmore, Wayne & Sparks, Roger, 2001. "Credit Scoring and Mortgage Securitization: Implications for Mortgage Rates and Credit Availability," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 337-63, November.
- Roberto Perli & Brian Sack, 2003. "Does mortgage hedging amplify movements in long-term interest rates?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-49, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2008," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 64 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou, 6.
- Joseph Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian Sack, 2011.
"Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 41-59.
- Joseph Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian Sack, 2010. "Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?," Staff Reports 441, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Diana Hancock & Wayne Passmore, 2011. "Did the Federal Reserve's MBS purchase program lower mortgage rates?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-01, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diana Hancock & Wayne Passmore, 2010. "An analysis of government guarantees and the functioning of asset-backed securities markets," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-46, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- The Federal Reserve: Looking Back, Looking Forward
by Guest Author in The Big Picture on 2014-01-04 10:00:00
- Silvio Contessi & Pierangelo De Pace & Massimo Guidolin, 2013. "How did the financial crisis alter the correlations of U.S. yield spreads?," Working Papers 2013-005, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Benjamin M. Friedman, 2013. "The Simple Analytics of Monetary Policy: A Post-Crisis Approach," NBER Working Papers 18960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcel Fratzscher & Marco Lo Duca & Roland Straub, 2013.
"On the International Spillovers of US Quantitative Easing,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1304, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Fratzscher, Marcel & Lo Duca, Marco & Straub, Roland, 2013. "On the international spillovers of US quantitative easing," Working Paper Series 1557, European Central Bank.
- John C. Williams, 2012.
"The role of monetary policy in bolstering economic growth,"
112, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- John C. Williams, 2012. "The role of monetary policy in bolstering economic growth," Speech 114, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Walentin, Karl, 2013. "Business Cycle Implications of Mortgage Spreads," Working Paper Series 275, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden), revised 01 Mar 2014.
- Kandrac, John, 2013. "Have Federal Reserve MBS purchases affected market functioning?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 188-191.
- Leippold, Markus & Strømberg, Jacob, 2014. "Time-changed Lévy LIBOR market model: Pricing and joint estimation of the cap surface and swaption cube," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 224-250.
- Fratzscher, Marcel & Lo Duca, Marco & Straub, Roland, 2012. "A global monetary tsunami? On the spillovers of US Quantitative Easing," CEPR Discussion Papers 9195, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:fip:fedfsp:y:2012:i:nov2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernanke, Ben S., 2014. "The Federal Reserve: Looking Back, Looking Forward : a speech at the Annual Meeting of the American Economic Association, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, January 3, 2014," Speech 608, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Chabot, Benjamin & Herman, Gabe, 2013. "A History of Large-Scale Asset Purchases before the Federal Reserve," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q IV, pages 140-152.
- Meixing Dai & Frédéric Dufourt & Qiao Zhang, 2013.
"Large Scale Asset Purchases with segmented mortgage and corporate loan markets,"
Working Papers of BETA
2013-20, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Meixing Dai & Frédéric Dufourt & Qiao Zhang, 2013. "Large Scale Asset Purchases with Segmented Mortgage and Corporate Loan Markets," AMSE Working Papers 1336, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Jun 2013.
- Meixing Dai & Frédéric Dufourt & Qiao Zhang, 2013. "Large Scale Asset Purchases with Segmented Mortgage and Corporate Loan Markets," Working Papers halshs-00842279, HAL.
- Bernanke, Ben S., 2012. "Monetary Policy since the Onset of the Crisis : a speech at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City Economic Symposium, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, August 31, 2012," Speech 645, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.