Discount window borrowing, monetary policy, and the post-October 6, 1979 federal reserve operating procedure
AbstractThis paper is intended to be an analysis of discount window borrowing as it relates to more general issues of monetary control. The topic deserves a new look because of the central role of discount window borrowing under the post-October 6, 1979 "reserve targeting" operating strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Monetary Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1983)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505566
Other versions of this item:
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1981. "Discount window borrowing, monetary policy, and the post-October 6, 1979 Federal Reserve operating procedure," Working Paper 81-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Robert L. Hetzel, 1988. "The monetary responsibilities of a central bank," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Sep, pages 19-31.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1984. "The promises and pitfalls of contemporaneous reserve requirements for the implementation of monetary policy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue May, pages 3-12.
- Goodfriend, M. & King, R.G., 1988.
"Financial Deregulation, Monetary Policy, And Central Banking,"
RCER Working Papers
121, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988. "Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue May, pages 3-22.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988. "Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking," Working Paper 88-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1995.
"The discount window and credit availability,"
95-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Timothy Cook, 1989. "Determinants of the federal funds rate: 1979-1982," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jan, pages 3-19.
- Malamud, Bernard & Assane, Djeto, 2002. "Federal reserve operating strategy: exploiting "pressure" on bank reserves," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 527-532, October.
- Lakshmi Balasubramanyan & David D. VanHoose, 2012.
"Bank balance sheet dynamics under a regulatory liquidity-coverage-ratio constraint,"
1209, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Balasubramanyan, Lakshmi & VanHoose, David D., 2013. "Bank balance sheet dynamics under a regulatory liquidity-coverage-ratio constraint," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 53-67.
- Dutkowsky, Donald H. & McCoskey, Suzanne K., 2001. "Near integration, bank reluctance, and discount window borrowing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1013-1036, June.
- Etsuro Shioji, 1997. "Identifying monetary policy shocks in Japan," Economics Working Papers 216, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Artuç, Erhan & Demiralp, Selva, 2010.
"Discount window borrowing after 2003: The explicit reduction in implicit costs,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 825-833, April.
- Selva Demiralp & Erhan Artuç, 2007. "Discount Window Borrowing after 2003: The Explicit Reduction in Implicit Costs," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0708, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Clouse, James A. & Dow Jr., James P., 1999. "Fixed costs and the behavior of the federal funds rate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1015-1029, July.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1986. "A weekly rational expectations model of the nonborrowed reserve operating procedure," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jan, pages 11-28.
- Goodhart, Charles A. E. & O'Hara, Maureen, 1997. "High frequency data in financial markets: Issues and applications," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 73-114, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.