On the substitution between saving and prevention
AbstractThis work makes a joint analysis of prevention and saving decisions. First we determine the optimal levels of the two variables and we analyze substitution between them. Second we provide some results about the effects on optimal saving and prevention of changes in exogenous present and future wealth and in possible future loss. Finally we introduce insurance into the model and we extend the separation result, derived in the literature which studies the substitution between insurance and saving, to the case where prevention is considered too.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 62 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Other versions of this item:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1982.
"Insurance and Saving: Some Further Results,"
Cahiers de recherche
8231, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 339-57, April.
- Jullien, B. & Salanie, B. & Salanie, F., 1998.
"Should More Risk-Averse Agents Exert More Effort?,"
98.489, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- DIONNE, George & EECKHOUDT, Louis, .
"Self-insurance, self-protection and increased risk aversion,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-623, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dionne, Georges & Eeckhoudt, Louis, 1985. "Self-insurance, self-protection and increased risk aversion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 39-42.
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1984. "Self-Insurance, Self-Protection and Increased Risk Aversion," Cahiers de recherche 8424, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Becker, Gary S, 1972. "Market Insurance, Self-Insurance, and Self-Protection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(4), pages 623-48, July-Aug..
- Jingyuan Li & Georges Dionne, 2010.
"The Impact of Prudence on Optimal Prevention Revisited,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Dionne, Georges & Li, Jingyuan, 2011. "The impact of prudence on optimal prevention revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 147-149.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1970. "The Effect of Uncertainty on Saving Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 353-60, July.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Christian Gollier, 2005. "The impact of prudence on optimal prevention," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 989-994, November.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1971. "Increasing risk II: Its economic consequences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 66-84, March.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Rachel J. Huang & Larry Y. Tzeng, 2012. "Precautionary Effort: A New Look," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 79(2), pages 585-590, 06.
- M. Menegatti, 2008.
"Optimal prevention and prudence in a two-period model,"
Economics Department Working Papers
2008-EP03, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Menegatti, Mario, 2009. "Optimal prevention and prudence in a two-period model," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 393-397, November.
- Menegatti, Mario, 2001. "On the Conditions for Precautionary Saving," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 189-193, May.
- Christophe Courbage & Henry Loubergé & Richard Peter, 2013. "Optimal Prevention for Correlated Risks," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 13071, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Mario Menegatti, 2012. "New results on optimal prevention of risk averse agents," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2166-2173.
- Hofmann, Annette & Peter, Richard, 2012. "Self-insurance, self-protection, and increased risk aversion: An intertemporal reinvestigation," Working Papers on Risk and Insurance 26, University of Hamburg, Institute for Risk and Insurance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.