On the Arrow-Hahn utility representation method
AbstractIn this paper we characterize metric spaces used in Beardon's generalization of Arrow-Hahn utility representation method as generalized Peano continua. For continuous preference relations defined on such metric spaces, we further construct an upper semi-continuous utility function which explicitly depends on the distance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 59 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Preference relation Utility function Convex metric space Generalized Peano continuum;
Other versions of this item:
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. F. Beardon, 1997. "Utility representation of continuous preferences," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 369-372.
- Jose C. R. Alcantud & Ghanshyam B. Mehta, 2005. "Constructive Utility Functions on Banach spaces," Microeconomics 0502003, EconWPA.
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 1987. "Some results on the existence of utility functions on path connected spaces," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 147-156, April.
- Candeal, Juan C. & Indurain, Esteban & Mehta, Ghanshyam B., 2004. "Utility functions on locally connected spaces," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 701-711, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.