New axiomatic characterizations of utilitarianism
AbstractWe give new axiomatic characterizations of utilitarianism in the absence of the unrestricted domain assumption, examine independence of proposed axioms, and discuss connections between our axioms and the known ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 58 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Social welfare functional Translation-invariance Quasi Pareto principle Strongly utilitarian social welfare mapping Solidarity Localization;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gevers, Louis, 1979. "On Interpersonal Comparability and Social Welfare Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 75-89, January.
- Neuefeind, Wilhelm & Trockel, Walter, 1995.
"Continuous Linear Representability of Binary Relations,"
Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 351-56, July.
- Wilhelm Neuefeind & Walter Trockel, 1994. "Continuous Linear Representability of Binary Relations," Game Theory and Information 9405002, EconWPA.
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Gevers, Louis, 1977.
"Equity and the Informational Basis of Collective Choice,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 199-209, June.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GEVERS, Louis, . "Equity and the informational basis of collective choice," CORE Discussion Papers RP -350, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Roberts, Kevin W S, 1980. "Interpersonal Comparability and Social Choice Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 421-39, January.
- Maskin, Eric, 1978. "A Theorem on Utilitarianism," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 93-96, February.
- Levin, Vladimir L., 2010. "On social welfare functionals: Representation theorems and equivalence classes," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 299-305, May.
- Levin, Vladimir L., 2010. "On collective utility functions admitting linear representations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 364-371, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.