Cores of partitioning games
AbstractA generalization of assignment games, called partitioning games, is introduced. Given a finite set N of players, there is an a priori given subset pi of coalitions of N and only coalitions in pi play an essential role. Necessary and sufficient conditions for the non-emptiness of the cores of all games with essential coalitions pi are developed. These conditions appear extremely restrictive. However, when N is "large," there are relatively few "types" of players, and members of pi are "small" and defined in terms of numbers of players of each type contained in subsets, then approximate cores are non-empty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 3 (1982)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shapley, Lloyd & Scarf, Herbert, 1974. "On cores and indivisibility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 23-37, March.
- Shubik, Martin, 1971. "The "Bridge Game" Economy: An Example of Indivisibilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 909-12, July-Aug..
- Henry, Claude, 1972. "Market Games with Indivisible Commodities and Non-convex Preferences," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 73-76, January.
- Dierker, Egbert, 1971. "Equilibrium Analysis of Exchange Economies with Indivisible Commodities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(6), pages 997-1008, November.
- Martin Shubik & Myrna Holtz Wooders, 1982. "Approximate Cores of a General Class of Economies. Part I: Replica Games, Externalities, and Approximate Cores," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 618, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.