Strategic behavior in financial markets
AbstractWe describe a financial market as a noncooperative game in strategic form. Agents may borrow or deposit money at a central bank and use the cash available to them in order to purchase a commodity for immediate consumption. They derive positive utility from consumption and from having cash reserves at the end of the day, whereas being bankrupt entails negative utility. The bank fixes interest rates. The existence of Nash equilibria (both mixed and pure) of the ensuing game is proved under various assumptions. In particular, no agent is bankrupt at equilibrium. Asymptotic behavior of replica markets is discussed, and it is shown that given appropriate assumptions, the difference between a strategic player and a price taker is negligible in a large economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Mathematical Economics.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco
Strategic market games Nash equilibria Interest rates Bankruptcy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2003. "Monetary Equilibrium with Missing Markets," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1389, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Gaetano Bloise & J. H. Dreze & H. M. Polemarchakis, 2003.
"Monetary Equilibria over an Infinite Horizon,"
03-19, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos, 2000.
"Equilibrium Analysis, Banking and Financial Instability,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2003-FE-08, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Tsomocos, Dimitrios P., 2003. "Equilibrium analysis, banking and financial instability," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 619-655, July.
- Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2003. "Equilibrium Analysis, Banking and Financial Instability," OFRC Working Papers Series 2003fe08, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- M. Shubik & D. Tsomocos, 1992. "A strategic market game with a mutual bank with fractional reserves and redemption in gold," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 123-150, June.
- Gaël Giraud & Hubert Stahn, 2008. "On Shapley–Shubik equilibria with financial markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 469-496, June.
- Goodhart, Charles A. E. & Sunirand, Pojanart & Tsomocos, Dimitrios P., 2004.
"A model to analyse financial fragility: applications,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-30, September.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & Charles A.E. Goodhart, 2004. "A Model to Analyse Financial Fragility: Applications," Economics Series Working Papers 2004-FE-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Charles A.E. Goodhart & Pojanart Sunirand & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2004. "A Model to Analyse Financial Fragility: Applications," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe05, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Geanakoplos, John, 2003. "Monetary equilibrium with missing markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 585-618, July.
- John Geanakoplos & Ioannis Karatzas & Martin Shubik & William D. Sudderth, 1998.
"A Strategic Market Game with Active Bankruptcy,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1183, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Shapley, Lloyd S., 1994. "Noncooperative general exchange with a continuum of traders: Two models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 253-293, May.
- Giraud, Gael, 2003. "Strategic market games: an introduction," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 355-375, July.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos & Martin Shubik, 2000. "Default in a General Equilibrium Model with Incomplete Markets," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1247, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Smith, Eric & Shubik, Martin, 2011. "Endogenizing the provision of money: Costs of commodity and fiat monies in relation to the value of trade," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 508-530.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.